Managing Trees with Decay & Dysfunction

You're right; ecologists are barely related to arborists, all too often.

Only true if restricted to the type of arborist you represent. As a consulting mycologist, I work with lots of European arborists, that have become familiar with the dynamics of tree species specific ecosystems including the soil food webs and the macrofungi they depend upon during successive stages of the tree species specific life cycles and implement this knowledge in their daily work.

Only true if restricted to the type of arborist you represent. As a consulting mycologist, I work with lots of European arborists, that have become familiar with the dynamics of tree species specific ecosystems including the soil food webs and the macrofungi they depend upon during successive stages of the tree species specific life cycles and implement this knowledge in their daily work.

And yet the U.K still thinks its leading! :lol:

by their heels they will be brought to the table Gerrit, by their heels, screaming and shouting whilst dragged backward to the fungal table!:lol:

you know my feelings on the whole subject.

I like to look at the bigger picture, now I'm not defending anyone here but being in the big ole U.S. of A. with a whole different climate, different trees and different eco-systems has really opened my eyes:001_rolleyes:

I've learnt lots of new things and am continuing to do so... I feel both sides has valid points, and I'm not saying anyone is "correct" or not, but each party brings different cards to the table..

It really is different over here! Even the grass is different!

Sent from my Galaxy S2

I've been pondering today, if there is in essence, a cultural difference going on here between old & new world arboricultural practices & principals.

Whereby, in the good intention & process of carrying out remediating therapy to dysfunctioning trees, the aesthetics are also being considered with regards to the urban tree stock in the land of the cosmetic demigods, and perhaps therefore becoming more exposed to pampering & titivation by human intervention (to produce a 'perfect form') than there is here on this side of the pond, where an 'ugly reality' is a more accepted part of the way things are & have been.

???

You may have hit the nail on the head there, still doesn't mean that either side is "right", just a differing of opinion

I suppose it's a bit like formula 1 and nascar, both extremely competitive and similar sports in their own right, just, different!?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Whereby, in the good intention & process of carrying out remediating therapy to dysfunctioning trees, the aesthetics are also being considered with regards to the urban tree stock in the land of the cosmetic demigods, and perhaps therefore becoming more exposed to pampering & titivation by human intervention (to produce a 'perfect form') than there is here on this side of the pond, where an 'ugly reality' is a more accepted part of the way things are & have been...
True enough; the cosmetic demigods here are the landscape architects, who like things all linear and appearance rules. I've toured countries where over a dozen tree species were planted along one street, and shown them pictures--stunned silence. heresy to most here. But that's aesthetics

Intervention to treat infections and make the tree stay around a bit longer, that's practical arboriculture, all about conserving tree value. And it's no more understood or accepted here than the UK or the low lands. It's different, for starters. we can wait until it gets published--in the UK-- as research. Hold your laughter til then, or not, but yours won't be the last laugh. :laugh1:

Trees depend on macrofungi?...maybe so, but you'd have a lot harder time convincing most other US arborists of that concept--they would not even listen. I've sipped the soil food web doctrine, but remain unconvinced that it applies so tightly to trees as tssm/tsse. But I'm listening and looking. :biggrin:

Titivating trees may be titillating, but it can also be debilitating!

1. Trees depend on macrofungi ? ... maybe so ...

2. the soil food web doctrine ... remain unconvinced that it applies so tightly to trees as tssm/tsse. But I'm listening and looking.

1. There wouldn't have been trees (and human beings) at all if some 400 million years ago a symbiosis between cyanobacteria and microfungi would not have colonized the land and started up the primal soil food webs.

2. To see what goes on in tree species specific ecosystems and soil food webs you have to know what you are looking for.

Edited by Fungus

True enough; the cosmetic demigods here are the landscape architects, who like things all linear and appearance rules. I've toured countries where over a dozen tree species were planted along one street, and shown them pictures--stunned silence. heresy to most here. But that's aesthetics

Intervention to treat infections and make the tree stay around a bit longer, that's practical arboriculture, all about conserving tree value. And it's no more understood or accepted here than the UK or the low lands. It's different, for starters. we can wait until it gets published--in the UK-- as research. Hold your laughter til then, or not, but yours won't be the last laugh. :laugh1:

Trees depend on macrofungi?...maybe so, but you'd have a lot harder time convincing most other US arborists of that concept--they would not even listen. I've sipped the soil food web doctrine, but remain unconvinced that it applies so tightly to trees as tssm/tsse. But I'm listening and looking. :biggrin:

Titivating trees may be titillating, but it can also be debilitating!

and THATS why I will not entertain american arboriculture, For an older (veteran arb) you are very behind Guy, im sorry, but its true.

We are all doing our bit, and learning our own way, what you do is your business, but to ignore basic arboriculture 101 that trees are dependant on macro and microfungi is, well its like putting a green book with gold text on the cover over your eyes and praying its all lies!

even shigo acknowledged them! shame the US didnt pick up on it!:lol:

there, said it direct.

So cyanobacteria and microfungi advanced evolution 400 million years ago.

This is today. Yes there is a web. Where's the proof that fungi play the leading part?

hama, exaggerating does not prove anything--"maybe so" is not "ignoring", and you can demonize US practice all you want.

No tete a tete possible when each party talks past the other. fuggetaboutit.