Managing Trees with Decay & Dysfunction

Ever the optimist :001_rolleyes::biggrin:

Yes, looking through gloomy glasses there, at a crystal ball that always seems chock full of black shoestrings. :scared1:

Epic work with that device there. Even lacking that tool and expertise, there are other assessment and treatment methods that, if used in a sober fashion, can lead to other outcomes than felling. :sneaky2:

Ever the optimist :001_rolleyes::biggrin:

Its going to be a very interesting case study over time.

particularly due the rare association of the species.

i didnt say anything that isnt true, time i did not give! and one thing is certain, its a rare birch that goes on to live the live that a staverton birch does! and even they had mellea bleeds, in case you did not notice!:biggrin:

and Guy, bootlaces and bleeds and the mention of mellea is only frequent because it is the most frequent factor, being a weakness parasite any issues quickly lead to Armillarias, which are ubiquitous in the soils, moving in.

:001_tt2:

i didnt say anything that isnt true,...

"just the obvious one that *will* be, an old birch on a lean in a wood with a white rot fungi at the core, cant last forever but not suggesting the lucidum will be the ultimate cause but that a secondary "weakness" parasite *will* be."

Tony, Sorry to be a wet blanket, but the verb "will" means you made absolute predictions. If these predicted events do not happen as you said they *will*, what you said was indeed not true at all. :001_tongue:

"just the obvious one that *will* be, an old birch on a lean in a wood with a white rot fungi at the core, cant last forever but not suggesting the lucidum will be the ultimate cause but that a secondary "weakness" parasite *will* be."

Tony, Sorry to be a wet blanket, but the verb "will" means you made absolute predictions. If these predicted events do not happen as you said they *will*, what you said was indeed not true at all. :001_tongue:

oh but THEY WILL!:001_tt2:

David,

Theres not many threads on arbtalk that i read from start to last post but i have this one, excellent work and very interesting.

Wish i worked for more clients that would allow me to manage trees in such condition instead of just wanting a complete removal most of the time.

Not at that stage Gerrit, this was just a preliminary excavation.

meripilus on beech is very aggressive - I would be suprised if there isnt significant root decay -

hope there are no other beech near by - infection can be passed on

love the post - thanks

The remaining branch was severly compromised by the attendance of both the brown rotting Laetiporus & Fistulina (first shot)

Today I noted the white rotting Ganoderma lucidum fruiting either side of the last remaining live butress root, with also Xylaria polymorpha & Bjerkandera adusta at the base of the tree in the same area.

commendable your efforts to preseve but I think its time to fell - dam road