Logsplitter hydraulic tank size

ukminch

Just brought a hydraulic logsplitter of a fellow arbtalk member. It runs a treat of my compact tractor but obviously takes up a fair amount of space and isn't really at the right height. The guy I brought it off had it on a power pack. I have a small diesel engine with a hydraulic pump that I was planning to use. I presume all I need to do is to fit a hydraulic tank in the system somewhere and away I go. What size would this tank need to be? Or anybody got anything suitable lying about they want to sell?

Or am I completely incorrect in the above setup assumptions?

R

Unfortunately there's not an easy off the shelf answer. You need to work out how much oil ethe cylinder will hold when fully extended, how much the pipework will hold, and then make sure there is a good bit more than that available as the oil also acts as a bit of a heat sink. I don't know exact figures but I have it in my head from somewhere that 2.5 times what the system holds is a good rule of thumb - so if 10L will fill up the circuit, you want 25L available.

You might get away with less but if you plan to use it all day then heat could become an issue.

Is there a problem with having to bigger tank? Theres a 100l one on ebay going cheap near to me at the moment.......

hyd oil is quite expensive, these machines tend to use LIC 30?, different from the universal and cheaper LIC10 spec tipper ram etc hyd oil.

A