husqvarna 61

lee74

Hi Guys

New to this site and this is my first post so be gentle:001_smile:

Did my CS30, 31 beginning of the year and have been looking around for a saw of my own, was going to get a Stihl, but have managed to get a Husqvarna 61, didnt pay anything for it and I know where it has come from so not dodgy at all.

Does anybody know anything about this saw?, Will it be a good starter saw etc?

Any advice heplful

Welcome,the 61 is a mid range sized saw about 60cc,not had one myself but believe them to be oldish design solid saw,it wont spoil you with luxuary,but should serve well enough.

Was that gentle enough, (I cant vouch for the restof them)!:biggrin:

Well done getting your tickets.:thumbup1:

My first saw, & still going very well, was/is a '92 Husky 61. Runs with a 20" bar. A bit heavy but has plenty of power & is also very good when ripping. Took me quite a while to master starting from warm & hot when it needs one pull with choke & then it will go without. From cold it needs throttle lock & choke & a good bit of holding!

I've always run it on 25:1 although the advice from many on here is that with modern oils, it would happily run at 50:1.

The original chain was Husky 'H42' (although I now only use Stihl chains). 3/8" 9.32mm pitch. .058" 1.5mm gauge. 7/32" 5.5mm file. & on the 20" bar there are 72 drive links.

Maybe something in there that helps.

Chris.

I've got a 61 that dates back to about 1992 I think (orange top) - I've also got a really old black top in the shed. Although it has never seen professional work it has cut a lot of wood in 20 years, and the only thing I have ever done to it apart from routine maintenance is to put a new starter cord on it. It has never ever let me down, and I once won a fuel tank race against a 394XP simply because it always starts first pull!. I run an 18" bar with full chisel chain; it copes with a full depth cut in hardwood without too much trouble. It is now my number two saw behind a 576XP and compared to that it is slower and at least as heavy, but I love it.

My only real complaint (as mentioned above) is that you have to hang on for grim death when starting. There is no decompressor and it is really "lumpy" to turn over.