Hows the firewood production coming along ?

gensetsteve

We have been busy in other areas of the business especially kindling. Not got as much firewood done as I need. Main reason has been the cost and size of cordwood it all seems to be 2" sticks or 20" butts. If anyone gets some beech fells or similar around Andover happy to pay a few quid and collect 10 tonnes at a time in 10ft lengths to save you dicing up. We dont seem to be able to get the £100 a cube round here so buying in cord makes it too tight on margin.

just like you steve, so our retail stocks sales build up is slower than we were for stocks this time last year, although weve still got the same amount tonnage wise at the yard it will definatley take longer to process as all either twisted or over/undersize for the processor.

nice striaght 10-14" diametre stuff i think is all but gone in the hardwood areas, weve got some 200t nice larch coming out this week and still got some striaght as a die spruce about 120t which will transaw loveley.

build up my muscles with the sledgehammer and wedges splitting down these massive beech and hornbeam trunks the lads have ringed up for me, quartering them so i can just about move them to the logsplitter:lol:

all the best steve, -hows the larch coming through the kindlet steve did you give it a try?

joy

Edited by Joy Yeomans
typo

just like you steve, so our retail stocks sales build up is slower than we were for stocks this time last year, although weve still got the same amount tonnage wise at the yard it will definatley take longer to process as all either twisted or over/undersize for the processor.

nice striaght 10-14" diametre stuff i think is all but gone in the hardwood areas, weve got some 200t nice larch coming out this week and still got some striaght as a die spruce about 120t which will transaw loveley.

build up my muscles with the sledgehammer and wedges splitting down these massive beech and hornbeam trunks the lads have ringed up for me, quartering them so i can just about move them to the logsplitter:lol:

all the best steve, -hows the larch coming through the kindlet steve did you give it a try?

joy

Hi Joy

I have got some irons in the fire so to speak but its getting too close for winter now so will process for next year unless i get some nice dry beech cord in. I tried lots of diffent species inc larch but the underlying problem is our kindlett does not like round timber. It loves square because it has the conveyor in feed rather than the ramp. I may give some slab wood a go as its flat on one or two sides and cheap. Look after your back Joy, we found hookeroons good for sliding rings about on the floor because it keeps your back straight.

Steve

you processed all the stuff i cut for you steve? give me a shout if they do drop you a load more big stuff off.

We have done at least half of that. Will be having a purge on collections in July so will give you a shout. Using the other large butts to practice on with my new toy if I ever get it finished. :biggrin: Just keeping up with generators and kindling has been flat out for the last few months not that i am complaining tis good. :thumbup1:

I have all but given up on hardwood now,fed up of its price hike and lack of availability,and there is nothing that gets up my nose worse than really twisty timber,unless its hawthorn i love that stuff.I am a huge larch advocate aswell it sold like hot cakes last year.

• 2 weeks later...