Using a platform with operator...problems!

conkers

On this topic. How many people use their tree harness in the bucket?

I think the guard is the way forward. I would rather not be worrying about over confident operators getting too close any way. Keep yer fingers!

Conkers, dare I say 'risk assessment' is the way forward here and, unlike the 'guard' business, HSE have renaiged here if it is demonstrated that a WP harness is adequate. Principally this is based around the likleyhood, or not as the case may be, of the operator being ejected from the bucket.

An example would be working on a high speed road where there is an increased risk of HGV impact and 'ping' goes the operator...a FB harness would be required (the is the example HSE cited to me.) However in general usage 'no' a WP harness is fine AND more particularly where it is anticipated the climber may access the tree crown from the bucket for part of the operation (worth remembering!)

Cheers..

Paul

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any modifications including in-cage barriers should have been passed as safe for purpose by the manufacturer of the MEWP. We do not personally run any such modifications in our current fleet, though protective equipment is often supplied by customers where they have identified it as necessary for a job.

Every job is different, e.g. depending on the specific machine (the size/capacity of the cage, etc) and the size/weight of equipment such as a chainsaw to be used.

For example if you identify the risk in your 'risk and method statement', and include rules for safe distances between the operator and worker to be maintained whilst work is carried out, then this may be sufficient if you are deemed to have taken necessary care. I would not attempt chainsaw work in a machine with a small cage.

We used Nationwide a lot year’s back but they became very difficult to work with. Some of the driver/operators tried the best to get out of doing the job none of the reason where valid and they would just send a different operator the next day and get the job done. It was well known within Nationwide at Newcastle Depot had some very lazy operators. They would turn up with trainers on, no hiz or hard hat and one we sent one back because he smelt of Alcohol. The point they raised is valid but my advice is there are a lot better companies to hire from

Thanks Will :thumbup1: Personally, I prefer to operate the Mewp and manouvre between cuts myself, rather than have a 2nd operator. I know where I need to get into position for my next cuts, they dont. They clutter the basket, get in the way, try to be helpful, and generally slow things down rather than speed things up, also Im the IPaf ticket holder, they arent as a rule. With a physical barrier, I'd think it would reduce efficiency as the barrier will restrict movement too much.

Thanks Will :thumbup1: Personally, I prefer to operate the Mewp and manouvre between cuts myself, rather than have a 2nd operator. I know where I need to get into position for my next cuts, they dont. They clutter the basket, get in the way, try to be helpful, and generally slow things down rather than speed things up, also Im the IPaf ticket holder, they arent as a rule. With a physical barrier, I'd think it would reduce efficiency as the barrier will restrict movement too much.

Ditto that Andy.

Good post. :thumbup1:

I wear my wp harness for mewp work as I occasionally like to get out and do a bit from the harness.

If we have a lot of big trees to work on, the mewp can be used just for quick crown access for the climbers. So they are in their wp harnesses anyway.