Lone working problems

Ford Forester

There is that option too, Chris. I know a similar guy who also has a lot of work himself, so we might be able to work on each other's jobs, thus satisfying eachothers' health and safety needs. Thanks for the feedback guys. I have already thought of all of the various options. It's just difficult to choose the best one, hence my post!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If im out working by myself i work on a system that I ring in once an hour even if it means walking to somewhere with signal, if I havent rung in 30mins after the time then a emergancy plan can be put into place (i admit not much use if you have hit yourself with the saw). Or if your on an estate buy some cheap two ways and give one to a keeper etc so you contact someone if you need help

I know a guy who had a firewood business he worked alone. One day he was felling a dead elm, it spun as he felled it and although he tried to run it caught him and pinned him to the ground crushing his pelvis. His saw was still running and almost in reach, he cut the tips of his fingers to bits trying to drag it to him by the bar, (obviously it was idling too fast).

When he eventually got hold of the saw he cut the limb that was holding him and managed to crawl a few yards to a fence but he couldn't get over it and passed out. Luckily he was found and spent ages in hospital.

He was no expert and should probably not have been felling in the first place, however, doing this job on your own is a mugs game.

The other day while winching I "parked" the tractor on my foot, nothing broken but I was stuck. Had I been alone I would have been there 6 hours before I was missed.

Get a subby in as and when.

TD Tree & Land Services Ltd.

I have to be extra careful nowadays,so i always take someone young or old with me on jobs i used to do alone,not only felling but hedging off the ground.Apart from the safety side,it generally cuts the time down to less than half,than if you do it all by yourself.And i dont fall asleep before ive ate my tea quite so much.

as family guys , i would rather have my husband and no money or homeless rather than husbandless, - we scrape by because we have two full time lads, yes if we tried to do it all alone we would probably be better off and our employees sometimes have more money in their pockets then i do in my purse! - but i wouldnt want Rohan felling or in the forest alone, sometimes they do go in and forward out etc on their own but ring in to each other every few hours etc -

only a few months ago rohan was in the tractor and jumped out to clear a blockage on the nokka and jumped straight onto a metal spike, it went right through his foot and through his chainsaw boots, tony administered firstaid, he was miles from no where and no mobile signal - 3 days off work with antibiotics -but he could have bled to death

take care all you forestry men - and tree men and firewood men for that matter - machinery and what we do is dangerous -lets all come home safely - even if were poorer for it

joy

p.s. sometimes school leavers are ok, but you are busy watching them sometimes and not watching what your doing or using up to much time overseeing them

Edited by Joy Yeomans
additon

If you have to do it then all you need is a robust lone working policy and be able to justify it.

I'm assuming the issue is with someone you sub too rather than the main client who often don't care less!

As others have said, far better NOT to work alone!