660 dust problem

RobRainford

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my 260 has never had any problems with dust, starts and ready to cut after sitting for a while in around 4 pulls. its a 2007, 3 and a half years old now and still its original filter, gets used more than the 660 and never skipped a beat, but the 660 is 6 months old now and has been doing this all the time! has it proven to decrease saw life at all?

ill look into the HD filter and possibly the HD2 if they are available as a spare part?

The HD filter is old news now and will be phased out and replaced by the much better HD2 filter on all models that previously had the HD filter. It is made of the same material as the MS261 filter and does not require the use of a prefilter.

Depending how old the saw is it quite possibly already has the HD2 filter. The MS441 was the first saw to receive the filter upgrade from the factory, as of the middle of last year.

Sounds good.:thumbup1:

Got a part number?

The HD2 sounds interesting, I hesitated in fitting the old HD filter as it must restrict air flow somewhat.

Yes, HD material does restrict more by its very nature. However, HD filters have a larger effective surface area compared to non HD to compensate somewhat. Think flat vs corrugated. I believe I read somewhere about flow tests on the old HD filter and it flowed more than enough for an MS880. Seeing as the same filter is used on other saws it shouldn't be that much of a problem, as long as it is kept clean!

My 441 is a 2008, and still has it's original filter.

Does it have the old style HD? Also MS441s have a better design in which they better separate "clean" and "dirty" air, before it gets to the filter.

ill look into the HD filter and possibly the HD2 if they are available as a spare part?

HD2 is available as spare part. The old HD i suspect will be "available from factory whilst stocks last". The old HD is no longer shown in parts lists.

Sounds good.:thumbup1:

Got a part number?

0000 140 4402

:001_smile:

Never bothered putting an hd filter on as there was never any dust in it.

The old HD filter was installed from factory on the MS441 from mid 2007. So if yours is a 2008 model you should already have the HD. What colour is the filter? Black=HD, Green=Wire mesh/winter operation filter.

Black, although the one on my 660 is the green one.

So your MS441 already has the HD filter :001_smile:

Your MS660 has the non-HD. I don't know since when but I believe the HD filter (HD2 now) comes factory installed on the MS660 now. The green filter is now listed as the option instead of being installed as standard and is only recommended for use in snowy/wintery conditions as per Stihl.