french tree companies

perci

hi, here are a few facts and figures about french tree firms.This was from a survey conducted by UNEP(union national des entreprises de paysages)in 2007.

There are 4500 tree companies in france employing 7800 climbers. 80% of these employ between 1 and 5 people,only 9% more than 10 people.

Although Only half the climbers have the national certificate, 30% of employers said it was the most important criteria when recuiting, for 26% it was experience, and 18.5% prefered work experience within the company.

There are 360 new climbers trained each year,out of these, 320 find employed work, while 40 start there own companies.

In all, there are 200 new companies created a year, providing 660 new jobs.

Each year 840 people leave the profession.Either due to a career change or retirement. Amongst these 400 climbers leave the job principally due to the physical nature of the work.

Hope you found it interresting.

Thanks for this info Perci. Really nteresting stuff. I've been trying to find out about working in France for some time, but web searches etc haven't picked much up. Do you work out there? Any advice for finding work in France? Do they have such tings as arb consultants/tree inspectors out there?

Cheers

I'm English, and have worked in France for 12years.I live in a region called 'Maine et Loire',Angers...just below Bittany.

Do you want to find work as a climber?

Arb consultants? I don't think so,well, not in the private sector.Forestry trained experts do most of the tree inspecting for town and city councils.

Interesting that 480 more people leave the industry than join it every year. By my reckoning there will be no tree surgeons in France by 2025.

should of been the same in the uk by my reckoning but they still seem to keep bringing them on and it is quite funny watching people burst in to tears and have brake downs when they are supposed to be fully trained and experienced college departures ....or maybe not! but i havnt seen many people climb day in and not out last more than 4 years in this industry.....before losing there bottle ,maybe its the cr@p money!?

hi, here are a few facts and figures about french tree firms.This was from a survey conducted by UNEP(union national des entreprises de paysages)in 2007.

There are 4500 tree companies in france employing 7800 climbers. 80% of these employ between 1 and 5 people,only 9% more than 10 people.

Although Only half the climbers have the national certificate, 30% of employers said it was the most important criteria when recuiting, for 26% it was experience, and 18.5% prefered work experience within the company.

There are 360 new climbers trained each year,out of these, 320 find employed work, while 40 start there own companies.

In all, there are 200 new companies created a year, providing 660 new jobs.

Each year 840 people leave the profession.Either due to a career change or retirement. Amongst these 400 climbers leave the job principally due to the physical nature of the work.

Hope you found it interresting.

Interesting stuff Perci, I've travelled in France a fair bit and have never seen much tree work being done. People I've spoken to out there have said that there isn't really a tree surgery industry as such with most of it being done by forestry workers or farmers in the rural areas but maybe this is changing? What chippers do you use out there?

• 2 years later...

Hi, found this old thread whilst googling around.

We are based in Bretagne near Rennes.

Life is good generally.

Considering I am fairly new to the climbing side I am well pleased with my performance and if I see a potential job that is likely to make me lose my bottle and break down and cry , well I just pass it on to a bigger outfit.

No harm in that eh? After all, a small builder doesnt put up skyscrapers now...

The French pay well but the Brits tend to be less rich these days and are migrating back home in droves.

I've got in with the local mayor and estate agents who pass on potential work and put our name about.

For all our equipment, we buy from the u.k as the french prices are stupid and they just won't negociate.

There is a shortage of climbers but although I may never climb fast enough at 40 for another company I certainly climb well enough to make a decent living and its getting better by the day.

You can visit us at http://www.lejardinieranglais.com

The french side will be online by December 2010.

Cheers

Stuart