Hows the log sales going now

mendiplogs

Im new to logs this year as i ve gone self employed as a timber cutter. Previously i was working for others doing their logs so i know all about it having 15 years in forestry and arb work! Managed so far to ring up a load of ash, some seasoned and some seasoned oak each time i go in. Collected about 20-30 loads i recon all stacked and ready to go in tha back of my tiny house in the concrete yard. Put and advert in the local paper and had 4 calls in 3 weeks. Also put a card in the local shop. So i ve done only 2 loads so far as one said she could get a bag for £40 and im charging £65, another wanted it that day so by the time i called her back in the eveining she had ordered elsewhere!

So its started very slowly and maybe as so many are doing it? dunno need to make a customer base first so i thought it would be a slow start.

The local shop sells bags of kindling at 3.50 for a net and sold out in 3 days. After buying bags im not sure its worth it if i supplied as id have to do it by hand???? :confused1:

So you offered less service than you do normally and feel like giving up when it was not appreciated?

Don't get me wrong, I feel for you and your desire to be at home by the fire but if it's a service you offered and he pays for?

You're home now I expect:biggrin:

No, its a free service, done because I hate leaving good dry logs in rain or snow , he was a fit bloke and I think he was being a lazy git.

I had already come off the road earlier in a blizzard, had to send my 'worker' home early to avoid the predicted ice that evening., and was trying to get home myself before more ice and snow. The evening before we stacked our last load in pitch black in a gale / sleet !

We have always stacked if there is a log store, I find most days it is only 1 -2 loads, sometimes none, and it does not seem to make any difference how many loads I get out,6 a day, (9m3, all by hand, no tippers in our yard!).

We have never charged as it really is so boring just driving and dumping logs off, that it makes a change to get out and do something. Often the views are amazing, and its good exercise. In the winter we can pile weight on just driving about all day unloading logs.

It could also be the pies and chocolate eaten on the move and the bacon butties we buy in town to keep energy levels up

Knocked back this afternoon with heavy rain from 3pm onward so that now makes it 21 cube to do this w'end, How about you Jon(Mendiplogs) what sort of quantity you moving this time of year mate?

Did a search on google for Mendiplogs website fair play thats a pretty good site you've had done I see you advertise softwood on it???Or is the "Mendiplogs" site not yours???

Thanks Phil.

Dont know if you read that later part of the thread Jon(Mendiplogs)??

Still nothing. Local upstarts are selling 1m3 @ £50 around here so can't compete at all; we're only a tenner more but for whatever reason their soggy softwood sells better than super dry ash, beech, oak, syc etc! I keep looking at my beautiful barn stored pile of approx 100m3 still left and think this Christmas aint going to have a bonus that's for sure. :crying:

Same down ere flying in october but died a death at the mo need snow quick,i agree with you on the upstarts and there summer prices,ive just agreed to do a shed load of felling for nout just so i can have the timber should give me a crackin head start for next year,moneys scarce at the mo i hope it picks up soon,cheers ssBOB.

Still nothing. Local upstarts are selling 1m3 @ £50 around here so can't compete at all; we're only a tenner more but for whatever reason their soggy softwood sells better than super dry ash, beech, oak, syc etc! I keep looking at my beautiful barn stored pile of approx 100m3 still left and think this Christmas aint going to have a bonus that's for sure. :crying:

Sounds bad, my local paper full of the usual 'cheap logs for christmas' ads this week, depressing as they could not run a business selling at those prices year round. If you get some hard weather, hopefully they will run out and you will sell your barn full, better late than never!