Can anyone reccomend me a course to go on?

Hello Ciaran,

sounds like you have a natural thirst for learning.

that's great !

Can I ask where you did the PTI?

I was under the impression that a candidate was in need of relevant industry experience prior to getting on the three days.

Well done for getting it either way :thumbup1:

Good luck in your future studies

David :001_smile:

'Monkey D', hope you're well!

As a PTI training provider, usually Tiff will ask if delegates have prior industry experience, i.e. in tree inspecting, and a relevant qual., i.e. Tech Cert, and if so she'll book themn straight on. If however that's not the case then, usually, she will tarnsfer them to myslef, Guy or Simon, to effectively 'interview' them prior to attending. During this process we make it clear if we think they may struggle with the assessment aspect but provided they understand this we will book them on the course.

In summary, arb quals / prior expereince are not pre-requisites for the course BUT are very useful and certainly those who pass, and pass at a good level, are qualified and experienced. This screams out on the 'tree inspection exercise' in particular where the expereinced inspector will major on the significnat deefcts/issues where the inexpereinced 'hedges their bets' and catalogues everything.

Sorry, I'm waffling.

Cheers..

Paul

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ciaran,

Perhaps consider:

What's it worth? Tree valuation methods in the UK

BS3998: 2010 Tree Work - Recommendations

Arboricultural Consultancy

Amenity Conference - Arboricultural Association

...and anything TreeLife do is always valuable.

Good luck..!

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for those useful links, I'm going to the bs3998 course in Wrexham and unfortunately cannot go to the amenity conference which I was looking forward to due to the fact that's the first week I'm doing my degree!

I am very interested in the what is it worth course and the tree consultancy, I gather by reading the web page that there is no test and the certification you get is if you attend? And especially the consultancy course sounds quite advanced, how to you think someone with two years experience in arb would fair at it?

Cheers ciaran glyde

Hi Paul, thanks for those useful links, I'm going to the bs3998 course in Wrexham and unfortunately cannot go to the amenity conference which I was looking forward to due to the fact that's the first week I'm doing my degree!

I am very interested in the what is it worth course and the tree consultancy, I gather by reading the web page that there is no test and the certification you get is if you attend? And especially the consultancy course sounds quite advanced, how to you think someone with two years experience in arb would fair at it?

Cheers ciaran glyde

Hi Ciaran,

T'be honest I'm not sure if there's any pre-requisite no. years in the industry before doing the Consultants course but it does talk about 'significant expereince' so maybe one for the future when a little more experience under yer belt in an advisory capacity.

Look forward to seeing you in Wrexham.

Cheers..

Paul

Yeah, I'm currently working for a tree surgery company in Dorset in my holidays when I'm not at college

:001_rolleyes:

I would suggest you take a couple of years brake from "theory" and do some work in the profession full time or you will never be taken seriously and will be like the droves of other people in professions who are all theory with limited practical working knowledge.

Wile “a good practical working knowledge” may not be a qualification etc it cannot be replaced by theory and will only strengthen your résumé, it only takes a couple of stupid, thoughtless mistakes as a consultant etc and you WILL be ridiculed. ;)

:001_rolleyes:

I would suggest you take a couple of years brake from "theory" and do some work in the profession full time or you will never be taken seriously and will be like the droves of other people in professions who are all theory with limited practical working knowledge.

Wile “a good practical working knowledge” may not be a qualification etc it cannot be replaced by theory and will only strengthen your résumé, it only takes a couple of stupid, thoughtless mistakes as a consultant etc and you WILL be ridiculed. ;)

Hi thank you for your imput, I compleltey agree which is why I'm working at the moment as a tree surgeon and not a tree consultant/officer, I admit it's not full time but it's better than nothing! So ridicule away :001_tt2:

Cheers ciaran glyde

Ciaran,

Perhaps consider:

What's it worth? Tree valuation methods in the UK

BS3998: 2010 Tree Work - Recommendations

Arboricultural Consultancy

Amenity Conference - Arboricultural Association

...and anything TreeLife do is always valuable.

Good luck..!

Paul

If only i had the money:001_rolleyes:

these will have to wait till i've finished my degree in two years when fingers crossed i'll get pro status in the AA:thumbup:

:congrats::congrats:

well said, by the time i've done my FdSc i'll have 6 years climbing behind me, i also hope to do another 4-5 more whilst learning to be a consultant

that way i'll actually know how the job is done when sorting work and contracts and trees for other people:thumbup:

If only i had the money:001_rolleyes:

these will have to wait till i've finished my degree in two years when fingers crossed i'll get pro status in the AA:thumbup:

Glad you got the tickets, loved the show this year!(well it was my second!)

The bs3998 course is free! It would be good to have another arbtalker there, I booked in this morning!

Cheers ciaran glyde