Mulching trees with root diseases

Steve Bullman

Intresting stuff, I've worked on many mature and ancient Beech trees in my short time as an arborist. And often walk through the Chilterns woodland on my weekends.

My observations have been like others, only a month ago did I see a mature Beech blown over infected with merrilpilus, I walked past it often over the year and it always looked healthy apart from the fungi! All the big structle roots were decayed yet there was smaller roots intact I guess this kept the trees crown healthy.

I've also seen Beech trees which have failed half way up losing probably 60-80% of there crowns in the past, yet have recovered and are still going strong.

So a heavy reduction is possible, just not ideal, losing all that stored energy and energy producing foliage is never going to be.

At Painshill we heavily reduced some Beech by 60% in height as an experiment, and alternative to felling, the tree looks ugly but its still a tree and has value!

Burnham Beech's is also a good example of how Beech can even respond to pollarding.

Reducing Steve's Beech tree job though is probably a bad thing as it needs all the energy it can get.

Maybe a light sail reduction followed by verticuler mulching by Lee.

I hate to see big trees felled it sucks, surely in this situation if Steve explains the risks and does the best he can for the trees health and the client takes responsability for the tree. Then Steve isn't liable whatsoever?

Plus any report Steve makes now is only valid for a year, its up to the client to have the tree checked annually.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You missed something out from that qoute Lee ;)

I'm all for giving trees a chance, I want to try and balance out my karma, all to often i've felled trees when there was other alternatives to be tried.

Its really starting to bother me, don't get me wrong I love to smash a big tree down, but I also love maintaining a tree in its enviroment just as much.

I can't help but feel some of the fells i've done were carried out because they could put more money on it, which I feel is a short sighted approach, as once a tree is gone there is no more money to be made from it.

I can't help but feel some of the fells i've done were carried out because they could put more money on it, which I feel is a short sighted approach, as once a tree is gone there is no more money to be made from it.

I know where you're coming from Marc, but with trees, beeches esp, how much money do you think people can spend on something thats in its later years? Surely this money is better spent in planting new trees to eventually take over from those that will soon be lost, its the circle of life really. Many of the beautiful old trees about are in areas that the public have access, and to try and hang onto them may increase the risk of future failure. The continuous monitoring of these stretches already tight budgets, and I cant help but think this money could be better spent.

• 7 months later...
Believe it or not Marc i'd say they sell more fells because they're easy to sell, a firm is more likely to loose out financialy on TD's than on trims and thins.

Lee, I found out today that your coming down to our sister site on Monday (30th),

If you've got the time, i've got a Fagus with Meripulus on, that I would like you to have a look at as your in the area.

(Couple of miles away)

Discussion on air spading butresses. and/or alternatives.

Give me a call.

David

077757 03017

[email protected]

P9120003.jpg.0aa8db26d1fa033390f33b215edd4d31.jpg

Lee, I found out today that your coming down to our sister site on Monday (30th),

If you've got the time, i've got a Fagus with Meripulus on, that I would like you to have a look at as your in the area.

(Couple of miles away)

Discussion on air spading butresses. and/or alternatives.

Give me a call.

David

077757 03017

[email protected]

Just seen yuor post I'll give you a call first thing mate.