Designer Logs

ash1

Windfall

Well there’s fuel for the chain saw, fuel for the splitter and about 2 hours time to process 4 cubes.

I think I know where this is going so to pre-empt any conclusions on your part the chainsaw is used on my smallholding and the splitter was taken in exchange for money owed some years back which as I sure you can imagine was also used to process free logs which I sold on.

As an axiom I love doing it.

Keith

And what would you charge your time at as a business?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Windfall

Well there’s fuel for the chain saw, fuel for the splitter and about 2 hours time to process 4 cubes.

I think I know where this is going so to pre-empt any conclusions on your part the chainsaw is used on my smallholding and the splitter was taken in exchange for money owed some years back which as I sure you can imagine was also used to process free logs which I sold on.

As an axiom I love doing it.

Keith

may i ask what kind of splitter is this? and is this all on your own?

just that 4 cubes alot for a single person cutting and splitting arb waste in 2 hours

just that 4 cubes alot for a single person cutting and splitting arb waste

IMO i was thinking the same but fair play if that is the case. the odd time i have to use a chainsaw now instead of the bench slows down production massively

And what would you charge your time at as a business?

Dave

It’s not about what I would charge an hour for my time it’s about market forces. Rob’s right some people who have already invested in their stove will continue to pay £120 for a cube but and a big BUT it will prevent a sizeable proportion of the general public buying a stove when they can use gas or oil with no mess or preparation and the reason I know this is because I sell stoves!!

At the end of the day it makes no difference to me what wood costs because I will never have to pay for it even if I lost my contractor.

Keith

just that 4 cubes alot for a single person cutting and splitting arb waste in 2 hours

Log supplier

Most of the waste is already in rings (apart from a few) so all I have to do is split with an 11 HP Pezzolato and throw them in the trailer.

Keith

Dave

It’s not about what I would charge an hour for my time it’s about market forces. Rob’s right some people who have already invested in their stove will continue to pay £120 for a cube but and a big BUT it will prevent a sizeable proportion of the general public buying a stove when they can use gas or oil with no mess or preparation and the reason I know this is because I sell stoves!!

At the end of the day it makes no difference to me what wood costs because I will never have to pay for it even if I lost my contractor.

Keith

I do understand where you are coming from Keith and personally I think that £100 is a fair price for a delivered cube of seasoned quality hardwood and I do sell other options at considerably less. It just bugs me a little when people say `I get my logs for free` when what they really mean is `I have a few bits of tree which after alot of work and time will become firewood`

Dave

Keith

so that means if logs have a sky high price,your potential customers wont buy from you?

do you tell your customers about the price of wood before you sell them a stove?

do you tell them if they get there wood free it will cost them nothing to run there stoves apart from (a little time and brute force)

also if they have to pay for there wood it will might be cheaper to keep there gas or oil?

if youve ever tried doing and selling firewood youll know where the prices come from?:001_smile: its hard graft

I do understand where you are coming from Keith and personally I think that £100 is a fair price for a delivered cube of seasoned quality hardwood and I do sell other options at considerably less. It just bugs me a little when people say `I get my logs for free` when what they really mean is `I have a few bits of tree which after alot of work and time will become firewood`

Dave

I never said that £120 or in your case £100 was not a fair price I simply questioned whether it was sustainable!

I do get my firewood for free. Even if you take in to account my kit and time it’s still very cheap and I get to choose exactly what species I want.

Keith