Stoves and insurance

Busy Daddy

My brother in law has bought 2 big stoves to help heat his

He is not a hands on type , so he got a HETAS approved stove installer , and was very anoyed when the guy said that he wouldnt fit the stoves as they were too big for the rooms and that the insurance would be void if the house burnt down.

Is this right or is he pulling a fast one ?

There is always the possibility that the installer wanted to sell his own products or he just didn’t fancy the job. Tell him to bugger off, there are plenty of heatas people around.

I fitted my own stove boiler so by that standard I am probably going to go to straight to hell.

Anyone can install the stoves BUT they MUST be installed to Approved Document J of the building regs AND singed off by someone competent to do so. This will either be a HETAS registered installer or your local building inspector. To fail to have them signed off WILL invalidate house insurance and you will be prosectuted when it comes to light. Recently a guy in Loughborough installed his own stove, had a flue pipe touching a rafter. His house caught fire and burnt down, as the stove was not signed off his insurers would not pay out and he got fined nearly £5k for not having it signed off.

Check the output of the stoves, go onto my website Wood burning multi fuel stoves Northants and Rugby go to installations and use the size chart there. That assumes average insulation and has been created by Morso who are world leaders in stove design.

It is far better to have a small stove and drive it hard than a big one idling. Burns with better flames, no tar and little soot given dry fuel.

A final thought is that if your man has bought cheapo chinese stoves that may be why a good installer is walking away, just dont want the aggro of a poorly designed and operating stove. Its far better to buy this product locally and get it installer by the supplier or his subcontractor.

PM me if unclear.

A

Edited by Alycidon

It wouldn't void the insurance if he installed stoves that are too big an output but he obviously didn't want to fit them.

I'm HETAS registered and to be honest I walk away from jobs when the customer wants me to install something that's way too big. I've come accross many people who become unhappy with a stove when it's too big and start bad mouthing the installer as they don't admit to their friends and family that it was their fault. It's easier to blame the installer than look a fool for choosing a stove thats too big. Not worth the hassle of getting involved usually so better to walk away.

Did he say whether the stove was too big an output for the room or too big for the fireplace? If it was too big for the fireplace and he couldn't have achieved the required clearances then it would go against building regs. This wouldn't void the insurance but it would mean that the insurance company could come after the installer to cover the costs if he hasn't installed it in line with building regs and manufacturers guidelines.

In all fairness It's the sign of a good installer if they're willing to walk away from a job rather than take your money and leave you with a poor installation.

Alycidon- You been or going to hearth and homes? Heading down tomorrow morning with my mate from Aston Chimneys if your about?

Edited by Fahrenheit

Alycidon- You been or going to hearth and homes? Heading down tomorrow morning with my mate from Aston Chimneys if your about?

Going tomorrow ( Tues), had a day with the JAPA 700 yesterday. Forecast for Tues is showers, the JAPA is on a resored MF 135 so dont want to get it wet !!.

Last winter I refused to sell a lady a 11kw stove that she wanted to put into a 4kw room. She would have been happy with it for about 30 minutes, would have been a 13m liner job as well + scaffolding so not a cheap install. She bought a Jotul from elswhere according to her neighbor who I had sold a stove a few weeks before.

A

• 5 months later...

Im resurrecting this thread to ask the question of how possible would it be for me to get insured on a stove I make myself. My stove design (not a bodge gas bottle) is good and my wielding skills are fine, though I'm not coded (personal liability). I will install it to regulations but Im wondering what you hetas guys have to say about home made stoves, or point me in a good direction.

What are is the procedure for old second hand stoves and insuring them?

The reason i want to make it myself, is that it is to heat a massive warehouse room, and i simply cannot afford a suitable sized stove of the kind needed that one can commercially buy. I'd rather spend the money I did have on buying quality materials and things like proper flue than get something small and lame.

be very keen to hear thoughts

regards

theo