Green Undiseased Elm for sale

crackfox

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sell alot of elm timber,,,

its all about leaving it in longer lengths so when it does get to a usable dryness the ends can be cut off and be left with something usable,,, the big logs in the picture are to short to be usable,, the other bits will have a good value when dry in years to come if theres not much drying degrade ,paint or wax the ends , looking at the pictures its full of sap so is ready to crack when the weather get hotter ,,

elm is only going to go up in price,, the woodturners know its going to get harder to get hold of and there is people willing to pay good money for the good coloured stuff,, if youve got space to store it , its well worth keeping,,

as for woodturners,,,,,,, seen them all ,,some great people and others that want to spend hours pulling the firewood pile to pieces looking for THAT OUT OF THIS WORLD PIECE OF WOOD I FOUND IN A PILE OF FIREWOOD ,, problem is i aint got time to stand around while the do it,,,

• 2 weeks later...

My only experience is "wasting" several hours of my time burning diesel with a loader pulling the pile apart for a payment that was less than the minimum wage for the time it took to get at it.

The answer to any further requests has had to be no, but it still hurts to process stuff that I believe could have a better use than firewood. I would be happy to put stuff to one side if I knew it was going to be worth the effort.

Anyway, the thread made me realise that I don't really understand what it is the woodturners actually are seeking. Perhaps if you guys could provide some sort of specification / watch list it would be mutually beneficial.

Re what is a fair price to both parties I dragged out a 3ft lump of apple trunk and stuck it on ebay yesterday just to see what happens. I don't know if it is a good piece or a bad piece but to my mind it is one of those that would be a shame to chop up for firewood. We will see what happens Large Apple log 38" x 8" for woodturning or wood crafts | eBay UK

We need to help each other here!

Pile pickers ?

How about "Wood Turners"? cos they are always turning the logs over looking for interesting grain and the like.

Too obvious I know :001_rolleyes:

My Dad is a woodturner so I have a fair idea of what shape and size wood he wants and what woods are of most interest. Incidently he turns most of what I get him green but only part turns it down to about an inch thick. This drastically reduces drying time (and stops some of the splitting and warping) but leaves enough wood to allow returning to remove warps and splits.

What a lot of people fail to understand is that the unprocessed wood has relatively little value and what they are paying you for is your time and skills in converting the wood to dimensions that they can put straight onto their lathe or bandsaw.

My pop gave me £50 yesterday for some wood I cut the other day which he has already part turned several bowls from it. The wood amounted to maybe half of what was in those pictures, but he will make something from every bit I cut.

(It's a well known business principle that if you add value people will pay more for it.)

He also contributed towards the cost of me buying my own chainsaw large enough to cut the logs and more recently a planking device so that I can cut stuff more precisely. He saw it as an investment and says that the planked timber is much quicker and easier to mount on the lathe than stuff cut freehand.

Hope this helps

For something like that i would pay £20-£30 depending on how far i need to travel but to me its just a pile of wood with nothing done to it.

What makes me angry is when people add the word woodturning/carving in the description they think they can add an extra £100 or so to the price, when its me or other turners who turn it into something beautiful.

Rant over :biggrin:(rant not aimed at anyone here)

I sell firewood, if my timber is suitable for turning its better than firewood and commands a better price.

I sell firewood, if my timber is suitable for turning its better than firewood and commands a better price.

I would agree if the turned wood is dry and in various blanks, just like your firewood is dry and split. Not just cut down a tree and do sod all to it then it becomes a pile of wood and worth even less.

Hope thats abit clearer :001_smile:

Well... the auction for the lump of apple trunk just finished - I guess the £2.50 was just too much and it remains unsold. Firewood it is then.

The above little experiment confirms my view that the wood turners do seem to want an awful lot for very little... or am I still missing something obvious.

Well... the auction for the lump of apple trunk just finished - I guess the £2.50 was just too much and it remains unsold. Firewood it is then.

The above little experiment confirms my view that the wood turners do seem to want an awful lot for very little... or am I still missing something obvious.

i think the point youve missed is that its the turner who produces the finished product that then sells for xx amount of pounds, why should the supplier of the wood profit any more or less from a piece of wood based on what that piece of wood will be used for. if you had one length of wood and 2 people came wanting to buy it, 1 a turner and the other wanting to chop it up into fire wood, is it fair to change the value of that piece of timber depending on who is going to have it?

put in another light.... some painters sell their work for hundreds but does that mean they should pay more fore their materials? :001_smile:

i think the point youve missed is that its the turner who produces the finished product that then sells for xx amount of pounds, why should the supplier of the wood profit any more or less from a piece of wood based on what that piece of wood will be used for. if you had one length of wood and 2 people came wanting to buy it, 1 a turner and the other wanting to chop it up into fire wood, is it fair to change the value of that piece of timber depending on who is going to have it?

put in another light.... some painters sell their work for hundreds but does that mean they should pay more fore their materials? :001_smile:

Correct as I am a woodturner it's a hobby we want to pay the lowest price possible it's an art at the end of the day not to earn oodles of cash (that's my case anyway) :)