Aerial Rescue - Access Platform

David Riding

I would have thought that it would depend on the type of job.

A mewp may well be the most suitable method of quick rescue in certain cases.

In other circumstances, even though the height and outreach were, on paper, suitable, a mewp could be worse than useless in the actual need of a rescue.

I have occasionally specified a mewp as the rescue method in the past.

If the mewp is specified as the rescue method, and it can access the whole canopy, what is your justification for using a climber to carry out the work?

Your quicker at dismantling than a mewp!! mewp is on the site for setting up steel cables next to where climbing is required.

Would an access platform with enough out reach and height be seen with the HSE as a valid method of aerial rescue, my thoughts initially are "of course it would"

Hi David, hope you're keeping well!

Much good advice contained above (as always) but in repsonse to your specific question it's all down to your emergency contignecies as dictated by the particualr site/job circumsatnces.

MEWP certainly can be deemed a valid method of rescue either as an aid to the 'rescuer' accessing the casualty and/or use the bucket to lower. Either way you should refer to Sect. 13 of the MEWPs guide whihc gives further advice.

On a last point, from a HSE persepctive you may find it very difficult to justify tree climbing, certainly in totality, if there is access for a MEWP to the site, let alone a MEWP actually on the site.

The hierachcy dictates MEWP first as 'collective protective measures', i.e. MEWP buckets, should take priority over 'individual protective measures', i.e. WP system...but you have to consider the MEWP on the job in the wider context as they may actually increase the risk levels associated with the job overall, i.e. unstable ground conditions / obstructions / o/head powerlines / traffic collisons etc.

Take care out there..

Cheers,

Paul

If the mewp is specified as the rescue method, and it can access the whole canopy, what is your justification for using a climber to carry out the work?

For example, lets say you are reducing a very large row of multi stemmed conifers.

The mewp may be on site to trim the sides, but due to the nature and width of the trees and the size of the mewp basket and the limitations of the boom configuration, it is better to have a climber to cut the tops out.

A mewp may be less suitable for the actual cutting, but still be the most suitable means of quickly getting adjacent to and rescueing an injured climber.

I can think of several occasions where the work has been carried out by climbing as it was the best way to do it, but with a mewp on the site already, it would have been short sighted not to think of it as the first method to employ, along with rope and harness methods,should a rescue be needed.

Your quicker at dismantling than a mewp!! mewp is on the site for setting up steel cables next to where climbing is required.

Thanks! :biggrin:

In safety hierarchy the last option is climbing you always go for a MEWP first

Not quite, the hierachy is avoidance of work at height, then MEWP, then climbing.

For example' date=' lets say you are reducing a very large row of multi stemmed conifers.

The mewp may be on site to trim the sides, but due to the nature and width of the trees and the size of the mewp basket and the limitations of the boom configuration, it is better to have a climber to cut the tops out.

A mewp may be less suitable for the actual cutting, but still be the most suitable means of quickly getting adjacent to and rescueing an injured climber.

I can think of several occasions where the work has been carried out by climbing as it was the best way to do it, but with a mewp on the site already, it would have been short sighted not to think of it as the first method to employ, along with rope and harness methods,should a rescue be needed.[/quote']

I know exactly where you are coming from, but in the case of David's job, a MEWP can get to the tree, so he should use one in preference to climbing. Specifying the MEWP as the rescue method, and then climbing the tree without going through the justification as you have would leave you in a sticky situation. Especially if you justified climbing on the grounds of no mewp access in the first place!

One consideration is loading the basket.

At certain boom configurations, can you suddenly double the load in the basket ?

One other thing.... I have yet to see a climber section down a tree faster than a mewp. :001_smile:

:001_rolleyes: You have lead a very sheltered life my friend!!:001_rolleyes: