swedish logs

Johny Walker

Here's one I made for my birthday bash.

To make one, cut a decent diameter log, about 9 - 12 inch diameter and 18 inch long.

Make vertical cuts from top down to about 3 inches from base. Don't go too far or the base will split.

You can do either 6 cuts or 8.

I prefer 8, it gets more air in.

Tip upside down and tap out sawdust, then to get better drying, blow out sawdust with leafblower, you will be surprised how much comes out.

Dry for a few weeks unless timber is already seasoned.

To light, drop a few unlit matches down centre. Also a good squirt of ronson lighter fluid. wait 5 seconds and drop a lit match down centre.

It will light then possibly go out. Just wait..... the air flow will blow air throughout the gaps and the candle may smoulder for a few minutes. It will then re-ignite on it's own. Here's the photos. Enjoy!

IMG_1491.jpg.57fc6e004846e32f7cc5d31dfe406a1e.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg.ddd0f29f80d83a82f495d946da2c571b.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg.c94f031dc9600612861e8642c1fdef03.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg.ad163ff03702a44f76fe127cd1c46860.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg.e3e6d7655b598aca145de5d63e8f9631.jpg

must give this one a go:thumbup:

My father was in Italy during the war and meet the 'lazy fire' man, he had a fire in his house and had a long long sticking out and just pushed it in a bit with his foot every time the fire got low - never got out of his chair all evening. I tried it out for a woodland brew up fire with long thin boughs running up wind - works great.:001_rolleyes:

Another way I've seen is to bore down the middle 4 times to make a sqaure, then bore in from the side, a few inches off the bottom, and remove the long square piece. Then light a small fire in the hole.