Throwlining

josharb87

Those of you who can hit a target the size of a dustbin lid 20M away, how do you do it?

My throwlining is crap, I normally take a bight, pass through the throwlines bag and hold the loop ive created and the tail, right hand.

Tips appreciated!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

best tip i got told at college, concentrate just above where your aiming for seems to work. also a decent throw line and a 12oz bag make all the difference, i find the 16oz bags to heavy and the 10oz bags to light, also get a cube they make a hell of a difference. also alot of practice.

but it will never replace a good old big ladder :thumbup:

Those of you who can hit a target the size of a dustbin lid 20M away, how do you do it?

My throwlining is crap, I normally take a bight, pass through the throwlines bag and hold the loop ive created and the tail, right hand.

Tips appreciated!

A lot of practice! Took me 11 years to say that i can hit (7/10 times) a target i want. I create a loop but prefer to throw it from between my legs and both handed. I also went up a footy field and aimed for the center of the cross bar, threw it 20 times and worked out i throw off to the right by about half a meter from 40 ft away-ish. I always aim to the middle of the branch im aiming for, and a meter max above it and normally get it over. Even if you go higher or lower you can normally thread the lines parallel and get climbing quick. ALTHOUGH some days i can't even hit a target the size of a bus:blushing:

Edited by Ian Flatters
spelling

A lot of practice! Took me 11 years to say that i can hit (7/10 times) a target i want. I create a loop but prefer to throw it from between my legs and both handed. I also went up a footy field and aimed for the center of the cross bar, threw it 20 times and worked out i throw off to the right by about half a meter from 40 ft away-ish. I always aim to the middle of the branch im aiming for, and a meter max above it and normally get it over. Even if you go higher or lower you can normally thread the lines parallel and get climbing quick. ALTHOUGH some days i can't even hit a target the size of a bus:blushing:

how in them 11years did you not realise that a 3 stage ladder would be so much better :lol:

I think different poeple throw at different angles, so you need to know what your angle is and stand in exactly the right place, then all you do is throw harder or softer to adjust the height.

I throw at quite a low angle, so I have to stand quite far back. Other throw almost vertical and can stand almost under the target! In the recent comp here the area for the throwline was so small that some just couldn't even attempt the top throw because they could get far enough away yet others were fine.

And techniques differ to, JT still uses the beginers mthod of between the legs yet he wins most events. MOst others use a single handed throw, I personall tie a little spike knot and hold that between thumb and forefinger. For higher throws the knot is further away from the bag and vice versa.

So, if I am standign the correct place so the angle from me to target is right for me, and if I have my little knot in the right place for the height I cant miss!

best tip i got told at college, concentrate just above where your aiming for seems to work. also a decent throw line and a 12oz bag make all the difference, i find the 16oz bags to heavy and the 10oz bags to light, also get a cube they make a hell of a difference. also alot of practice.

but it will never replace a good old big ladder :thumbup:

Yes but people can fall off ladders:001_tt2:

how in them 11years did you not realise that a 3 stage ladder would be so much better :lol:

3 Stage Ladder??:confused1: Is this one of those new inventions like the 'Wheel' :lol:

Although my throwline skills have helped you a couple of times, not even a 3 stage ladder would of got you a nice anchor point on the orrrible Sugar Maple we did. But might have been a considerable amount quicker on that poplar from the other day.:lol:

people can throwline over a branch with a massive cavity on the top of the branch not visible from below :001_tt2:

I bet more people fall of ladders and you should load your anchor point before you start trusting your judgement

Practise, practise and more practise.

I use a permanent loop tied in the line, on one finger, and swing the bag to my right.

Any technique is ok though, find one you like and take some time outside of work to get it right.