Permission Robbed!

18 stoner

Bit of a quandry, so wondered what you guys would do in this situation;

My customer at No 23 wants TPO ash taken down after branch litter falling on his patio.

The tree is in No25 garden.

My customer consults with neighbour, who says "We`ve been trying to get that down for years! If your contractor can get permission we will go halves, go for it!"

I then gained permission on grounds of safety(after much wrangling). Neighbour at No 25 gets notification, and now said he wants other quotes!

My customer is a straight guy and said he would pay the full amount, but the tree owner said they would refuse access if i turn up without them getting another price.

My main issue is, do i, (and my customer) have any right over the permission?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don’t think so,

the owner of the tree has the last say in who will work on there tree or which quote they accept,

If the next door is footing the bill totally the owner still has the right to refuse to let you on his land simply because he doesn’t like you etc in favour of any contractor he prefers, though he should foot the difference if higher

All I do in those situations Pete is tell the customer (hopefully prior to the application) that if you don't get the job you will have to bill him for the Planning Application.

I would think you can do that anyway if you don't get the job.

One of the problems here is, are they just after the cheapest quote or a quote for a proficient job doing.

If you like' date=' I'll do your customer a price more than yours Pete and then they have an alternative quote and yours will be cheaper and you won't lose the job you have already won.[/quote']

Nice one nige, think they have another "tree surgeon" in mind already.

Apparently this other guy has already worked on the tree, i guess thats why they hardly have any canopy left in their garden (been removed without permission) and the tree is very unbalanced now!:scared1:

You might guess i`m not a happy bunny, but keep em coming!

All I do in those situations Pete is tell the customer (hopefully prior to the application) that if you don't get the job you will have to bill him for the Planning Application.

I would think you can do that anyway if you don't get the job.

One of the problems here is, are they just after the cheapest quote or a quote for a proficient job doing.

Unfortunately Dean, i didnt say anything about billing him for time on the application, but my customer is very sound and wouldnt like to do that to him.

I think now the tree owner has got the permission, they want it doing on the cheap.

Unfortunately Dean, i didnt say anything about billing him for time on the application, but my customer is very sound and wouldnt like to do that to him.

I think now the tree owner has got the permission, they want it doing on the cheap.

You have been asked by your customer and the neighbour agreed to go halves, therefore technically the neighbour has okayed it for you to apply and if he then backs out should foot the bill for the application ???

You have been asked by your customer and the neighbour agreed to go halves, therefore technically the neighbour has okayed it for you to apply and if he then backs out should foot the bill for the application ???

Yes, I get you now dean, i would happily bill the tree owner!

As far as my customer is concerned, although he only agreed with the neighbour verbally, he has a contract with him!

I think dean is right we must move into the real world, time is money and your time needs to be paid for. My brother in law is an architecht and comes across this all the time, so now you pay him for what he does if he gets planning permission and not the drawings at least he gets paid for what he has done, we need to see this sort of situ coming and have it allready worked out if we can.:001_smile:

So, does the tree owner have the permission, or does he have to apply again in his name/his contractors name?

The reason for asking is, a while back a similar thing happened on a pruning job and the TO told me I held the permission for the works, therefore anyone else working on the tree would be classed as unofficial.