Hollow Beech - reduce or fell?

Ben Moss

Just wondering what advice people would have for this Beech I looked at today. At the cavity (pictured) I'd say the main stem is approx 70% hollow accross and hollow from cavity to below ground level . No signs of fungi. The owner would like to retain the tree. Thanks.

028.jpg.a6b0675e4ca6f2d20432b4d846e9fcf4.jpg

029.jpg.773c718f6a5809b31f368f8437d28ee5.jpg

030.jpg.11b15ef0a572720a70de4cc782725cc7.jpg

The house is far enough away, however there is a workshop close by so there will be people walking around. My first thought was to fell but as the client wants to keep it I'm considering a severe 50% reduction. Any thoughts?

Very Nice Monkey D.

The point being that a phased reduction is probably the best option for the tree if the client really wants to retain it.

Anything too harsh will more than likely lead to a shock that the tree won't recover from.

What ever you persuade the client into, I'd be keen to hear how it turns out.

Appreciate you keeping us updated :thumbup1: