MS261 Running issue

Matthew Arnold

Thank you. If you don't mind just printed that lot off to check for various wear/heat points. We had it on an old (1993) 034 we called "Herbie" as the stop switch didnt work. After running for 15 mins at full throttle the with the chain brake on it would still creep round very slowly. It didnt matter where it went it would come back the same. Sadly it was stolen with our 2 month old 361 and 4 month old FS450 and T516 tirfor winch.:thumbdown: Boss hit the roof but wasnt our fault.

All saws would run great if you guys didn't abuse them so bad:thumbup: It is a full time job keeping them all going:lol:

From a technical side - Stihls inboard clutch is a pretty resilient bit of kit and some of the older saws I have had in have been in very good nick - they seem to support the sprocket bearing better - the outboard ones tend to wear the bearing faster and changing the sprocket is more difficult!

I know Husqvarna use both on their saws but are predominantly outboard in design!

Having said that - I still prefer Huskys but work on both - the MS200 is still better than the 335XPT IMO!

Just going on a WAG here. It almost sounds like the saw is out of tune. Idling to high causing the chain to turn? Thne with the to high rpm the clutch shoes are engaged in the drum and when you put on the hand brake it locks her up. Bam done shut off.

Well - what was the outcome, I always like to know if the advice from all - heaped upon other members was of help or was totally useless and if it made a difference.

Always good to know that some of us were on the right track or if we should just throw the towel in and have a beer or three!

Well - what was the outcome, I always like to know if the advice from all - heaped upon other members was of help or was totally useless and if it made a difference.

Always good to know that some of us were on the right track or if we should just throw the towel in and have a beer or three!

One of the clutch springs had snapped so one of the shoes was on permanently. When the saw was running it was just spinning around on the sprocket but when the chainbrake applied it had enough grip to kill the saw. Now got a new spring in and all good.:thumbup: