ArbTalk Fungi Directory - facts & figures

David Humphries

David,

Some suggestions on the content.

- Maybe differentiating the biotrophic from the necrotrophic ("cross over") parasites could be implemented.

- You could use my photo's of both the necrotrophic parasitic Armillaria mellea and A. ostoyae and the saprotrophic A. lutea (= A. bulbosa) and the descriptions on my CD-rom to show the differences among the three species.

---

i was going to suggest the exact same thing :001_rolleyes:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David,

Scan the Soortenbank : index, look at the photo's of the species and tell me what you want, how, what size, etc.

And in what way is protection of © guaranteed ?

David,

Some suggestions on the content.

- Maybe differentiating the biotrophic from the necrotrophic ("cross over") parasites could be implemented.

- You could use my photo's of both the necrotrophic parasitic Armillaria mellea and A. ostoyae and the saprotrophic A. lutea (= A. bulbosa) and the descriptions on my CD-rom to show the differences among the three species.

---

Have scanned through those great images & data but not had the time to digest them all.

But will :thumbup1:

The main idea of the directory is to be an accessible database for everybody including the many who are complete novices to the subject.

As such I have specifically tried to keep terminology 'clear, simple & intouch with the majority of current text' so it can be used & understood by all.

With the greatest respect Gerrit, your suggestion (although a much needed & long awaited step toward a deeper understanding) would perhaps cloud & confuse the Raison d'être of the directory at this stage.

Perhaps that level could be tackled at the next stage in the developement of the directory or even a different interface.

For the time being, your very kind offer of your photo resources would be more than ample.

Photographic credit is always acknowledged on each & every shot.

Hope you're understanding of my feelings & it hasn't put you off.

D :001_smile:

The main idea of the directory is to be an accessible database for everybody including the many who are complete novices to the subject. As such I have specifically tried to keep terminology 'clear, simple & intouch with the majority of current text' so it can be used & understood by all.

your suggestion (although a much needed & long awaited step toward a deeper understanding) would perhaps cloud & confuse the Raison d'être of the directory at this stage.

Perhaps that level could be tackled at the next stage in the developement of the directory or even a different interface.

Hope you're understanding of my feelings & it hasn't put you off.

David,

I understand your point, but I'm not that easy put off :biggrin: , so I suggest the possibility of linking the "technical" terms to a "background" list with - in short - the meaning and explanation of the terms most used, just like was done with my interactive guide CD-rom, a "trick" which you can also test on Soortenbank.nl while reading a description of one of the depicted fungi clicking on a blue word. For this list, you could copy (parts of) my list of terms from the CD-rom and you and I could add some technical terms on trees and the effect of macrofungi on them to it.

And you could link the items to specific texts on several ecological and/or mycological subjects I already posted to supply extra background information.

I f.i. think, that even for novices in the field, it's good to know what signs come from panic reproduction of macrofungi and/or trees and to know why the panic fruiting of a biotrophic parasite must be evaluated and interpreted differently as the same signs of a necrotrophic parasite and what this means for the prognosis of the tree.

If you think it is too early for this, no problem, I can wait for the right moment.

David,

I understand your point, but I'm not that easy put off :biggrin: , so I suggest the possibility of linking the "technical" terms to a "background" list with - in short - the meaning and explanation of the terms most used, just like was done with my interactive guide CD-rom, a "trick" which you can also test on Soortenbank.nl while reading a description of one of the depicted fungi clicking on a blue word. For this list, you could copy (parts of) my list of terms from the CD-rom and you and I could add some technical terms on trees and the effect of macrofungi on them to it.

And you could link the items to specific texts on several ecological and/or mycological subjects I already posted to supply extra background information.

I f.i. think, that even for novices in the field, it's good to know what signs come from panic reproduction of macrofungi and/or trees and to know why the panic fruiting of a biotrophic parasite must be evaluated and interpreted differently as the same signs of a necrotrophic parasite and what this means for the prognosis of the tree.

If you think it is too early for this, no problem, I can wait for the right moment.

I hope david will forgive me this comment, but I think it is folly to not give gerrit accses all areas to add and delete as appropriate to this directory.

I know it is your baby david, and i know it is also your "career statement" but seriously, it will not detract from your work here nor reputation to have others (especially the emperor fungus) giving this the attention it deserves.

You cant do it on your own, you havent the time and IMO it isnt progressing as fast as it could because of your feeling others may steal your thing away.

this project is bigger than you realise, it is important, and the fact your its generator will never be overlooked, let go my man, let go.:001_cool:

You cant do it on your own, you havent the time and IMO it isnt progressing as fast as it could because of your feeling others may steal your thing away.

Tony (& David),

I can neither do this on my own, so I will need close cooperation with and support from David (and you ?), the last especially when programming aspects arise, because I still have not entered the digital era completely :blushing: .

Together with David's (and yours ?), my investment would aim at building the best documented website on our shared interests in English.

Tony (& David),

I can neither do this on my own, so I will need close cooperation with and support from David (and you ?), the last especially when programming aspects arise, because I still have not entered the digital era completely :blushing: .

Together with David's (and yours ?), my investment would aim at building the best documented website on our shared interests in English.

Gerrit, I know what you want to do, and share your vision, i just hope david can let go of his grip a little, I love him dearly but he is holding this project so close.:001_tt2:

I hope david will forgive me this comment, but I think it is folly to not give gerrit accses all areas to add and delete as appropriate to this directory.

I know it is your baby david, and i know it is also your "career statement" but seriously, it will not detract from your work here nor reputation to have others (especially the emperor fungus) giving this the attention it deserves.

this project is bigger than you realise, it is important, and the fact your its generator will never be overlooked, let go my man, let go.:001_cool:

Tony Tony Tony............

You're mistaking me for someone who gives a shiit.....ake :001_tt2:

With respect to both yourself & Gerrit, you both need to re-establish the thought that this is Steve's baby. (not mine)

I'm the editor, but all that is completely irrelevant without his hosting & software management.

Until the remit of the original idea for the directory is reviewed by the two of us, then I'll just keep on keeping on.

For sure the Arb world needs Gerrits knowledge possibly more than anything else that appears near the top of the politeco-agenda here in Uk & European Arb.

But the directory is a work in progress, & until I or Steve get bored with it or each other, then the multiple hours afforded to it thus far will continue at it's current pace to keep it on it's onward journey.

I think the viewing figures speak volumes for how it's being greeted in our happy little arb world.

Also Tony I think you need a reality check on where the two of us are currently in terms of fungi-school & where the majority of arbs probably are.

Access to Gerrits vast bank of fungi lore is a blessing for us all but we're possibly not all at the same receptive level for the Directory to go uber scientific (tongue in cheek)

Take that how you will.

As for your your comments on 'my thing being stolen away' it's sooooo far from how & what I've hoped to acheive with this project (I thought perhaps you would have known that) :001_rolleyes:

ho hum :001_smile:

Tony Tony Tony............

You're mistaking me for someone who gives a shiit.....ake :001_tt2:

As for your your comments on 'my thing being stolen away' it's sooooo far from how & what I've hoped to acheive with this project (I thought perhaps you would have known that) :001_rolleyes:

ho hum :001_smile:

David, I have two goals/missions, to raise the industry bar, to raise awareness of mycological things, as an arb for the industry, and for fungi as a member of the BMS (a constitutional obligation) When i see opportunity to fulfil these objectives i persue them, with vigour.

I do this with great intention and no malice.

I may mis read the situation, but from my perspective, i tell it as i see it/feel it, i am just a member here, and never shall I be more or i would be by now, for whatever reasons that may be, i am not.

As you say this is down to you and Steve, so I appeal to you both, let this become all it can be, for it is bigger than anyone of us.

Steve, these things are not your bag i know, but trust me when i say that this work thats going on here is one of the biggest contributions to arboriculture to happen right here right now.

and this site may well be bridging the gap between the peers and those coalface arbs like us, which is the biggest obstacle to modern arboriculture today, the massive lack of communication that is there between the elite and the also ran.

we could I say COULD be working all together here, consultants and elites, our peers, gaining access to field observations and knowledge and vice versa via interpretation.

By realising this potential, arbtalk may go into another level.

that will only happen when we let the right men in, and give them the space to talk.

Gentlemen, whilst you digest each others comments, accolades and indifferences I would like to add that the resource that David has kindly afforded so much time to (Fungi Directory) and the information Tony and Gerrit (and others) have passed on to increase the 'data bank' I personally have appreciated and used the information extensively. Primarily to enable me to learn the 'fungi' in order that I pass my courses with confidence and now to enhance my knowledge and use it in situations that I may find myself in on a daily basis whilst protecting and preventing the demise of our luscious landscape. Gracious to you all for your input and knowledge.