Vertical speedline sections

Ian Flatters

Slightly over equiped there me thinks, you only need the ray mears bivi knot for vertical speedline tensioning.

but if you already have the lowering device on the stem, why take it off when you could use it, no risk of the sections hitting the device since we redirected the line off the ratchet strap, simple, quick, and dare i say most effective way to get it as tight as you can.

I dont normally have an opinion posts like this

great that youve taken the time to put the vid up for us to see.

I particularly like the still shots

sorry but it just seemed too slow and a poor use of man power

I'd be frustrated that the groundy was standing around kicking sawdust - unable to work while i was faffing around with knots and then that i was standing around waiting for him to untie said knots before i could proceed to the next bit.

using all those logs on the floor to make a "bin" over the slabs/ targets - protecting them and catching or deflecting rings in towards the stem and flower bed would probably be the way i'd go. with the groundy removing the aditional rings as i dropped them.

i might just be impatient tho

but if you already have the lowering device on the stem, why take it off when you could use it, no risk of the sections hitting the device since we redirected the line off the ratchet strap, simple, quick, and dare i say most effective way to get it as tight as you can.

Just my opinion, it looked like it worked ok.

I prefer to get the bollard off ASAP so there is zero risk of hitting it, mine is more expensive! Have you seen how tight ray mears gets his tarp over his bivi!! Its amazin.

Also all that kit has to get put away at some point, so the groundie could be doign that while your doign all the knots etc. less standing around waiting, so then when the stem is finished there is less kit to put away. Gettign things done simultaneously is better that consequetivley, time and motion study and all that.

Glad i didn't use a Crane then:001_rolleyes:

I still think it was the best option we had, controlled drop to remove any real risk. So for a few minutes more i remove the chance of me having to explain

to the client why i broke or damaged their things and tarnish my business name which could result im me losing work in that area.:thumbdown:

Now my next question is how much quicker would you have chogged it down i.e it was mentioned smaller chogs? It took us 16 minutes to drop these 2 bits and log them up.

I think it was a good option and probably the best, but it can be done with just a rope and a sling, no more is required.

Rupe can you add a photo for me of the bivi knot. Always like to learn a new knot. I won't tell you what the google search brought up when i put in bivi.:lol:

It just half hitch pulled back around the stem, like a cow hitch really but not tied off (you could tie it off if you wanted) all you need is to get the vertical section taught.

Ah, i was doing this in my 1st test on a vert speedline but with dual lines. :thumbup1: