Work on TPO trees.

bumble B

If you had a potential client that has a mature copper beech in their front garden within an afluent, historic, conservation area and they have asked you to "make it smaller".

How many people would involve the tree officer first to get his recommendations and talk through other options before quoting and submitting an app' of your own?:confused1:

Is it TPO'd or simply in a conservation Area BTW?

There is a maximum you can reduce the tree by anyway, and you usually discuss the customer's wishes then submit a planning app for that work, which IME will result in one of 3 things- no comment and tha app passed, a site meeting with the TO to discuss, which regularly results in his recommendations, or a flat refusal. There is one TO down here who will not get involved full stop- he just makes the decision, but there are two (at least) who are EXTREMELY helpful, and welcome site meetings to discuss, which makes planning apps very simple.

The TO or PO will have to make a site visit inspect the tree in regards to your notification / application to carry out work anyway, so it makes sense to involve them before you submit the paperwork and possibly save all parties a lot of time and headache.

Of course, that would be an ideal situation. In reality, a lot can depend on the LAs policy on site meetings and time constraints. Generally, most TOs are more than happy to see you to discuss the tree(s) as it will more than likely lead to the best outcome for all :biggrin:

That's put my mind at ease I thought for a minute I was over complicating things.

I was asked to quote on the tpo'd tree within conservation area and I know that the LA is going to put their own spec' down. They are very good in Elmbridge really helpfull.

Instead the potential client just wants 3 quotes which to me seems like an exercise in quoting as there is no bench mark for a set amount to be taken out.

... Instead the potential client just wants 3 quotes which to me seems like an exercise in quoting as there is no bench mark for a set amount to be taken out.

That's good practise for your client, but a right pain for you because as said above, you may be giving them a quote for work you can't carry out.

You could ask the tree owner to discuss their proposed works with your TO, so all three companies would be quoting for the same spec'. As long as the correct planning procedure is adhered to, it doesn't matter who does the paperwork.

I would ask if you client is happy for you to discuss with the TO first - and invite the client along if you are going to meet up on site.

Some clients may see discussions with the council without their input as undermining your relationship.