Why is there no money in firewood?

Stereo

The guy that owns the Big Top will never hit the tent pegs in

That is a good saying but in my experience of supplying gensets at events the man who owns the show runs round like a headless chicken banging pegs in emptying blocked toilets and rallying the troops. The circus is always a total team effort.

I was once on one of 42 large chicken broiler farms. The owner ( a multimillionaire ) got out of his jag rolled up his suit sleeve and unblocked a drain.

The ideal is not always what happens in reality.

So true Steve. When I used to own petrol stations I remember on one redevelopment I realised that the only way that the site was going to re-open on time was by me getting out there with a brush and shovel and leading by example. It was so funny watching all the reps walking past this scruffy bloke on the forecourt to my staff in their shirts and ties skirts and blouses in the shop being sent back out to me with a puzzled look on their faces :biggrin:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry what I should of said was the guy who runs the successful circus does not get his hands dirty :)

Leading by example is very honourable but being a hard ass no nosesense fo it or your sacked kind of guy makes the money, I am not 1 of these guys lol

Sorry what I should of said was the guy who runs the successful circus does not get his hands dirty :)

Leading by example is very honourable but being a hard ass no nosesense fo it or your sacked kind of guy makes the money, I am not 1 of these guys lol

May be may be not . He could be out of touch with the operation. He could also spend alot of time in court answering unfair dismissal claims. Easier to bang the pegs in your self.

I try to promote good karma I believe what goes around comes around.

Soar with eagles dont gobble with the turkeys ( although I seem to be with the crows most of the time) :biggrin:

Just cant get my head around that! Different part of the country i suppose

He does sell to the public too. I don't fully understand it either but that's the way it is and i'm not going to talk him into increasing his prices:-)

He sells massive volumes though and firewood is not his main business at all. He's simply getting paid to get rid of his waste.

He possibly doesn't realise the value of what he is selling too. When we started sweeping chimneys the going rate around our area was £15. We came in at £35 + vat and are now charging £45 + VAT but we offer a much quicker, cleaner and more thorough service than anyone else.

I was outside a distribution depot in Swindon last week and saw some pallets of firewood outside. The addresses on them were in Teeside and southern Scotland, not places noted for being short of trees. Someone round here knows how to sell coals to Newcastle, so to speak.