357xp problems

ash_smith123

Hi,

posting this for a friend but he has just bought a 357xp off ebay (I did say not to buy a saw off ebay) but it doesn't look like its had a lot of use. He started it fine the first day for about 10 minutes of cutting, stopped with a splutter and sounded like it had run out of juice, it didn't but we filled it up again and haven't been able to start it since! He fitted a new plug, its wet when you pull it so there is petrol coming through. cleaned out the carb and filter but still nothing.

Are we missing something or has anyone got any idea's!?

Cheers

Ash

Check the air gap between the coil and the flywheel! if its to wide you wont get a spark.

Also you could take the exhaust off and check for scoring on the piston and barrel,its maybe picked up or been run with the wrong mix(thats why it was sold on flee bay).

first thing i do with any ebay saws in nip the exhuast off and check the state of the piston!

Top advice - always do this as my first check when buying a new saw, if you get stuck - PM me and I can take a look. Sounds like you have fuel so all that is left is spark and compression!

Probably been seized before and they just stuck a new ring in without cleaning the bore or looking for the reason it went in the first place.

Make sure the saw has had its inlet boot mod, prone to leaking decomp valve - especially on the EPA model!

Did he pick up the saw in person, and start using it with the fuel that was already in it? If so, odds are that the fuel was very stale and he's now wrecked the piston - even if it was perfectly OK when he bought it. If you're very lucky, the pot may be salvageable - talk to Spudulike.

Alec