Weird And Wonderful Wood Show 2011

Steve Bullman

Wood is Man’s oldest natural resource . . . He has no older or deeper debt (Hugh Johnson)

Press Release: February 2011

Weird and Wonderful Wood - 14th and 15th May 2011

Weird and Wonderful Wood 2011 is to be held again at the beautiful Haughley Park, Wetherden (just off the A14 near Stowmarket).

For those who love wood, Weird and Wonderful Wood has become an annual experience not to be missed. For those fascinated by the beauty of wood and beautiful wooden objects, it is a rare chance to see how they are made and an opportunity to try making things for themselves, all in a truly stunning setting – both indoors and out.

We had a fantastic turnout last year and had more visitors than ever before. It was wonderful to see lots of new faces, young and old, as well as many established artists and crafts people who come along each year.

This year’s two day event is set to feature even more demonstrations and workshops. Visitors will be able to meet over seventy artists and craftspeople, enjoy watching their practical skills and appreciate their work.

There will be new demonstrations including carving and sculpture, fine furniture making, musical instrument making (including flutes and drums), displays by traditional fletchers and bowyers, chain saw carving, hurdle making, wood turning, pole lathe turning, sign writing, as well as coracle making and wagon displays. There will be a working mobile sawmill on site, so if you want to bring your own tree, it can be cut for you!

Workshops, which everyone can take part in, include activities such as archery, willow weaving, spoon wittling, withy work, papermaking, pole lathe turning, scrap wood, puppet making, jewellery making, den building, and Monkey-do tree climbing.

If you have not been before, you will find it a friendly, fun, relaxed event with something for all the family. Take time to enjoy yourself at your own pace. Enjoy a wealth of excellent locally sourced and produced food and drink (including a licensed bar) on offer and beautiful surroundings to explore when you want a break. There is no need to worry about inclement weather as we have fine furniture and demonstrations in the barn and other activities in the grounds, housed in structures such as domes, tipis and yurts!

Weird and Wonderful Wood is a unique and exciting event which is never the same from year to year. There are new things happening and new experiences every time. There are different demonstrations, different stalls, new ‘spontaneous happenings’, different workshops for children and adults - as well as established favourites.

But one aspect never changes, the event’s very special atmosphere that sees people coming back year after year.

“It was one of the most magical days I’ve had, ever. The people were fantastic, so open and warm and knowledgeable and passionate about their crafts. It was so inspiring and so much fun.” - Anna Morell, Kent.

“Interesting connections, a great venue and a wonderfully mellow atmosphere.” - Alison Kent, Wivenhoe

See Weird and Wonderful Wood for pictures from previous years.

The event is organised by Stow Hundreds, a non profit making organisation, and Robert Williams has once again kindly invited us to use his lovely grounds and beautiful barn in Haughley Park.

Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th May 2011. Haughley Park, Wetherden, Nr Stowmarket, Suffolk, IP14 3JY.

Times: Saturday, 10.30 – 6.00pm; Sunday, 10.30 – 5.00pm

Admission per day: Adults £5, Concessions £3, Children under 12 £2, and under three’s free.

For further details please phone Tarby Davenport on 01359 240724 or email [email protected]

Ok, I'll admit it, I need some help! My plan to have an array of forestry equipment has fallen by the waysde as its now out on site away working. So..... I need some help with other kit for either a static display or a working display (aerial such as a simple climb or rigging) We have some nice trees to play with, camping is available, and there is a bar nearby.:thumbup1:

Ok, I'll admit it, I need some help! My plan to have an array of forestry equipment has fallen by the waysde as its now out on site away working. So..... I need some help with other kit for either a static display or a working display (aerial such as a simple climb or rigging) We have some nice trees to play with, camping is available, and there is a bar nearby.:thumbup1:

no plans to have a climbing comp again? if not id be up for helping out with climbing rigging stuff if wanted? i have the stein dual bollard to show off

Cheers steve!

Andy sorry to hear that your plans have fallen through, but sure we can russel something up,

will be free passes on offer for anyone who wants to come along and help out, have a climb or do a demo , just bring your cs card with you.

Its a good little fair, with lots going on for all ages.:thumbup1: