Sack em and keep work for myself?

TREELINE

Hes a good climber with 10 years expeerience. The thing that bothers me is why the dont use the gear when its all there. Guess we all get a bit complacent and its not the end of the world but we may have some rail work lined up and that kinda thing don't go down so good or a railway. I'm more worried about expanding too quick , giving away the fortune i've created and then being left with knacked gear and bits of broken guttering than a healthy bank account.

Looks like its time to get out of the office.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if one of your subbies ruined a car i cant imagine them paying When i sub for a company i make a point of only doing so under there own insurance not mine other wise i would want alot more wedge.

True enough, for me also, buttttt, you should really have your own insurance anyway.

Or so I have been told.

If you think you can opt out of using your own insurance you could be in for a nasty surprise. For instance, say you damage something expensive. The client claims against the main contractor, who claims against his insurance. The insurance company pays out, but if they can show that the damage was caused by your negligence as a subcontractor, they will seek to recover their costs from you. Neither you nor your main contractor will get any say in the matter.

but we may have some rail work lined up and that kinda thing don't go down so good or a railway.

I spent 4 yrs clearing railway embankments...hard work, good money...loooaaadddsss of health and safety/risk assessment type stuff. You doing/done pts courses yet?

If an experienced freelance climber that makes good money for your company breaks a gutter, I`d let it go. ( If he doesn`t make you good money, I`d let him go ).

Whatever happens on your job is your responsibility. Even if a subcontractor lost the plot, its your responsibility to your customer. If you don`t trust your staff to work how you`d like, spend more time on site.

Loads of work and staff-related stress: increase your prices substantially and everything else will fall into place. imo

I have my own PL but i would never use it on a subbie job unless i was paid 50% of the job. If i am on a day rate im employed for the day and a condition i put in writing is all risk and liability is directly the responsibility of the contractor regardless of blame or fault.

So all you subbies not doing this now cover your arse.

Put it like this they dont give you 100% of the profit why should you be liable for 100% of the damage. :sneaky2:

I spent 4 yrs clearing railway embankments...hard work, good money...loooaaadddsss of health and safety/risk assessment type stuff. You doing/done pts courses yet?

not yet still in pipeline. just completed the paperwork. I love the hard work though makes the day disappear