Looking for advice qualifications advice?

YoGi_93

Mainly aimed those of you who have recruited a few other people. Im going to college in September, I have a place all I have to do now is to decide what level to do. I applied to do level 3, which is 3 times as long as level 2. Id prefer a shorter course like level 2 as ive been at college two years already, and speaking to some people at the college the course content seems to be alot more practical than level 3. If I applied to a company would I actually have much of an advantage if I did level 3 over level 2? if that makes sence, it probably doesnt :thumbup1:

to be honest, most employers wouldn't really care about theory certificates. they just want to see cs units, common sense and a willingness to work hard. it may help you get the job if your up against someone without a theory cert, however.

It all depends on what you want to do with your career.

If you want to stay on the tools for the forseeable, then ditto what Alex says above. It's good to have some theory so you know why you're doing what you do, but practical quals and experience will serve you better.

However, if you want to have more flexibilty in your future career and you can see yourself in a more managerial role at some point, then I'd say do the highest qual you can. You can still work weekends and part time during the week while you're at college, so it's not like you're going to be stuck in a classroom solidly for the next few years.

I concur - it is what you want in the future that will dictate what you want to be able to achieve now. Yes a L2 is quicker and yes it will help you understand the reasons behind your actions and give you foresight to perhaps question a decision rather than carry out the request. If you want to progress whilst being on the tools with a L3 under your belt you can always try a degree by distance learning. That is relatively long but you dictate the pace in which you proceed and learn. worth considering a plan beyong the next 5 years in case of accident, tiredness, age etc.... good luck trooper.

Cheers guys Thats what I kind of thought its just backed it up to be honest :) I dont really see myself wanting to have any kind of managerial role really. The reason I got into arboriculture is being outside, active and getting down and dirty :laugh1: to be honest ideally an apprenticeship would be perfect for me, but the only one I can find it this one at the same college

Warwickshire College | Courses | Arboriculture - Apprenticeship in Trees and Timber (Arboriculture) Level 2

Its basically from what I can see just covers tree felling and ground work not really any aerial work. What sort of options would this open for me? If any?

Cheers guys Thats what I kind of thought its just backed it up to be honest :) I dont really see myself wanting to have any kind of managerial role really. The reason I got into arboriculture is being outside, active and getting down and dirty :laugh1: to be honest ideally an apprenticeship would be perfect for me, but the only one I can find it this one at the same college

Warwickshire College | Courses | Arboriculture - Apprenticeship in Trees and Timber (Arboriculture) Level 2

Its basically from what I can see just covers tree felling and ground work not really any aerial work. What sort of options would this open for me? If any?

you're young

in 30 years you will see life completely different

Just you wait

embrace everything and make the most of now