Keizer's Fungi Q & A.

David Humphries

I dont know if this is the right thread to be asking this in, but...

I have this 1f620743-609d-a3c3.jpg

Having followed the instructions, which consist of a pre-innoculated mushroom compost (dung and straw?) being left a few days then covered with moist peat, I fail to have shrooms after a month. Which should be plenty long enough. Instead I have healthy harvest of what appear to be the fungal equivalent of fruit flies?! What could they be, and how might I get rid of them and get the shrooms I am after? :confused: I have wondered whether maybe woodlice or millipedes etc may predate on their larvae?

Sorry for the odd question, feel free to ignore it! Thanks either way...

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having followed the instructions, which consist of a pre-innoculated mushroom compost (dung and straw?) being left a few days then covered with moist peat, I fail to have shrooms after a month. Which should be plenty long enough. Instead I have healthy harvest of what appear to be the fungal equivalent of fruit flies?! What could they be, and how might I get rid of them and get the shrooms I am after? I have wondered whether maybe woodlice or millipedes etc may predate on their larvae?

The "fruit" or more probably dung flies could either be hatching from the substrate (horse dung) or from the moist peat.

Because the normal procedure is to cover the inoculated compost with a layer of moistened flower pot soil, not with peat, I think the mushroom will not fruit at all.

• 2 weeks later...

This image with plating poses a diffiult thing for me to ponder.

Hi Gerrit, still feeling some doubt these lines are tree based barier formations as opposed to fungal barriers

Principles here being Kretzschmaria (late to the table) and ganoderma applanatum first player, also armillaria starting to move in to remaining cambium spaces.

So, if these black zone lines are the tree and not the interactions of the fungi, why do they demark the colonised zones and not present within the zones of individual colonisations via bot G. applanatum and K. deusta?

Why are there no lines in each colonised section? etc

597660700f331_Ganobeeechdecay088.jpg.af105a66215d61e17f305a73430f3ed6.jpg

This image with plating poses a difficult thing for me to ponder still feeling some doubt these lines are tree based barrier formations as opposed to fungal barriers

Principles here being Kretzschmaria (late to the table) and ganoderma applanatum first player, also armillaria starting to move in to remaining cambium spaces.

So, if these black zone lines are the tree and not the interactions of the fungi, why do they demark the colonised zones and not present within the zones of individual colonisations via bot G. applanatum and K. deusta?

Why are there no lines in each colonised section?

Tony,

Where the mycelium of K. deusta is stopped by the tree at the edge of sound wood, the black lines are tree based defensive barrier formations (compartmentalisation).

Where the mycelium of Armillaria or Ganoderma has reached the edge of sound wood there is no formation of black lines by the tree as a defensive barrier. You can only tell how far the degradation of the wood goes by assessing the not very distinct line of where the white rot (with selective delignification) meets the sound wood. And black zones associated with Armillaria are plaques.

Where mycelia of two or three of the fungi meet, the black line is the fungal barrier or territorial boundary.

Tony,

Where the mycelium of K. deusta is stopped by the tree at the edge of sound wood, the black lines are tree based defensive barrier formations (compartmentalisation).

Where the mycelium of Armillaria or Ganoderma has reached the edge of sound wood there is no formation of black lines by the tree as a defensive barrier. You can only tell how far the degradation of the wood goes by assessing the not very distinct line of where the white rot (with selective delignification) meets the sound wood. And black zones associated with Armillaria are plaques.

Where mycelia of two or three of the fungi meet, the black line is the fungal barrier or territorial boundary.

but the lines in K deusta decays do not conform to the CODIT model and the CODIT model apart from barrier 4 "the Barrier zone " (Sharon) are true barriers (chemical) I think CODIT describes anatomical structure rather than boundaries and barriers, just obstacles like a maze, with the rays being hardest to navigate as a structure.

I cant remember where I read about the CODIT reality, I think it may have been Schwarze

but the lines in K deusta decays do not conform to the CODIT model and the CODIT model apart from barrier 4 "the Barrier zone " (Sharon) are true barriers (chemical) I think CODIT describes anatomical structure rather than boundaries and barriers, just obstacles like a maze, with the rays being hardest to navigate as a structure.

I cant remember where I read about the CODIT reality, I think it may have been Schwarze

I'm not talking about the microscopical features or characteristics of barriers or the black tree based defensive or fungal territorial demarcation lines, I'm just describing what can be seen in your photo without using a microscope.

• 2 weeks later...
1. The first two images show blackened fruit bodies and the cavity 4.5m up the beech stem that they fell from.

2. The third image is blackened fruit bodies from between buttresses of neighbouring beech

3. Final image is black ooze from another beech in the same avenue.

1. With brown spores ? If so : Pholiota aurivella.

2. With white or brown spores ? White : probably an Armillaria species or Collybia fusipes. Brown : possibly Pholiota squarrosa or Gymnopilus junonius.

3. Could be black oozing caused by Armillaria (mellea). And the canker is caused by a Nectria species.