Keizer's Fungi Q & A.

David Humphries

Do I sense some jealousy there? :001_tt2:

And thanks for pointing that out, I didn't notice the little Mycena, I was sóóó happy that I finally found the Laccaria amethystina I heard so much about during the past months :001_smile:

Always jealous when I see some fine shots of fung.

When did you see the Laccaria fruiting Tom ?

It's been seemingly finished here for a month or so.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerrit,

here on an 8 year dead Oak monolith - Rhizomorphs of one of the saprophytic Armillaria sp.

Thing I'm interested in is why are some of the rhizo tendrils brown, as opposed to the more usual 'black' melanine covering I would normally expect to see.

Just younger forming tips ?

IMG_9282.JPG.609e152552e5fa3957a1d80c93586ef4.JPG

IMG_9280.jpg.9f97722cc6e1e2a8776048975a181e0d.jpg

IMG_9279.jpg.1ae5ac9024f7bf6127628b8143106a1f.jpg

IMG_9278.jpg.58486afcf3ecabefafd72661f5ff5c4c.jpg

M1.jpg.2b8ca92a6101b8e38e99a4906cf6c47f.jpg

Tom,

You didn't have to bother to visit the woods, you could have stayed inside and have a look at my Beech & Laccaria amethystina thread :biggrin: .

Just not the same ... you should know!!! I read that thread (of course I did!), but it only triggers me to look for the real thing :thumbup:

When did you see the Laccaria fruiting Tom ?

It's been seemingly finished here for a month or so.

I saw the Laccaria last friday! Temperatures and humidity have been exceptionally high here during the last weeks, don't know if there's a connection.

1. here on an 8 year dead Oak monolith - Rhizomorphs of one of the saprophytic Armillaria sp.

2. Thing I'm interested in is why are some of the rhizo tendrils brown, as opposed to the more usual 'black' melanine covering I would normally expect to see. Just younger forming tips ?

David,

1. Colonising the outside of a trunk and rising up from the roots, rhizomorphs mostly are of a necrotrophic parasitic Armillaria species, that killed the living tissues while shedding the bark in the process.

2. If they go all the way to the ground, it could be adventitious rootlets from a tree too, but to be sure you'll have to break the brown tendrils : brittle and white hyphae inside ==> rhizomorphs, tough and longer yellowish fibers inside ==> rootlets.

I read that thread ... I saw the Laccaria last friday! Temperatures and humidity have been exceptionally high here during the last weeks, don't know if there's a connection.

Tom & David,

There is, and there also is a connection to the very late falling of the leaves (and nuts : mast year) triggering the trees to withdraw the chlorophyl from the foliage, store some of the sugars in their roots and sharing some with the Laccaria mycelia surrounding the fine superficial roots with their ectomycorrhizae.

The pictures in my thread were taken last Friday too and there were thousands of FB's in the drip lines of the tree's outer crown projections to choose from.

No, with (yellow) golden pores, aurum = gold.

So is that a defining feature of the aurantiporus then, yellow colouration because I see all white ones with only a slight orange/yellow hue to the upper surfaces as they age? or is this all white form the looka like fungi for which I can not remember the name?

So is that a defining feature of the aurantiporus then, yellow colouration because I see all white ones with only a slight orange/yellow hue to the upper surfaces as they age? or is this all white form the looka like fungi for which I can not remember the name?

The name Aurantioporus originally was given to species with orange golden pores, that became whitish because of the white spores. Now A. croceus has been reclassified as Hapalopilus croceus and the entirely white to grayish yellow A. fissilis is still classified under the old name, though is has no orange golden pores at all.

• 4 weeks later...