Keizer's Fungi Q & A.

David Humphries

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just for info i have done a lot of searching by tree too, would this pull up results that correlate to the search or would it not be as accurate due to some fung being unpredictable?

It should help with narrowing a search down Rob.

But I will say that the Trees asigned to each gallery are not or never will be, a completely comprehensive list.

Fungi keep on turning up in the most interesting of places :sneaky2:

on a side note, i have noticed that when searching for the ID of a fung, it is not always straight forward

for instance, desicated fruitbodies IMO are notoriously hard to ID as the Pluerotas ostreatus as before on the pop, never seen it in reddy brown stage before

so as a newb would it be worth putting in the gallery pics of FB's in different stages from birth to death, with features.

Would that be even possible?

so as a newb would it be worth putting in the gallery pics of FB's in different stages from birth to death, with features.

Would that be even possible?

That's always been part of the idea of the directory Rob.

Some galleries already have examples & others are being updated continualy.

Will hopefully have desicated on all of them at somepoint.

Best leave this to another thread, as it's getting away from the purpose :001_smile:

Great thread guys :thumbup:

Here is something you probably have seen plenty of and all know the name of and what it does etc but hey what the hell i thought i would stick it in here seeing as i cant be bothered searching through millions of photos of fungi to find the damned thing (really wish i had a good memory).

Anyway my question is whats it called? and how long roughly before i need to cut this tree off the womans house? :lol:

I found it on a lime with a lot of dead wood and crown die back, i am pretty sure its not good news for the tree but i was wanting some confirmation from the fungi experts before i start wasting my night and possibly tomorrow trying to confirm my thoughts.... here is the pics if i can figure out how to do it :blushing:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=64478&stc=1&d=1305145639

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=64479&stc=1&d=1305145639

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=64480&stc=1&d=1305145639

First time trying to put photos on here so i hope i did it right :confused1:

DSCF0120.jpg.2c1c6dfd3a22a5f07d37f0841d4d6ae6.jpg

DSCF0119.jpg.fdf3a97dcee6facd5383ab03080bc08d.jpg

DSCF0116.jpg.5a6cc982a3c4b9cf31d516be41152be3.jpg

Anyway my question is whats it called? and how long roughly before i need to cut this tree off the womans house? :lol:

I found it on a lime with a lot of dead wood and crown die back, i am pretty sure its not good news for the tree but i was wanting some confirmation from the fungi experts before i start wasting my night and possibly tomorrow trying to confirm my thoughts.

David,

The black crusts are of last year's fruiting of Ustulina (= Kretzschmaria) deusta, the mycelium of which must meanwhile have completely soft rotted and decomposed the trunk of the tree at and under ground level and the buttresses and/or roots completely. If the whitish stuff has pores, it might be Physisporinus (= Rigidoporus) vitreus, a annual polypore in this case living on/of the old crusts of U. deusta.

Without hesitation, fell it as soon as possible.

Edited by Fungus

David,

The black crusts are of last year's fruiting of Ustulina deusta, the mycelium of which must meanwhile have completely soft rotted and decomposed the trunk of the tree at and under ground level and the buttresses and/or roots completely. If the whitish stuff has pores, it might be Physisporinus (= Rigidoporus) vitreus, a annual polypore in this case living on/of the old crusts of U. deusta.

Take the mans advice pronto.:001_cool:

David,

The black crusts are of last year's fruiting of Ustulina (= Kretzschmaria) deusta, the mycelium of which must meanwhile have completely soft rotted and decomposed the trunk of the tree at and under ground level and the buttresses and/or roots completely. If the whitish stuff has pores, it might be Physisporinus (= Rigidoporus) vitreus, a annual polypore in this case living on/of the old crusts of U. deusta.

thanks i will give the lady the bad news asap, i already told her to prepare for the worst :thumbup1: