Gutted my L200 has an oil leak :(

sasha.p

I just took a look under it as she started to clunk so was looking to see what bushes was worn and noticed its only gone and got an oil leak :thumbdown:not at all happy im supposed to be saving to do my ticket's im assuming any oil leak on it is going to be a pretty big job anyone here got any idea's how much i may end up paying out for this ?im not sure what gaskets gone yet going back out with a torch now to take a closer look to see if i can pin point it i spent a small fortune on it last year as my fuel pump had to be replaced and flywheel fell apart and various other general wear and tear bits could of done without this now :crying:

I just took a look under it as she started to clunk so was looking to see what bushes was worn and noticed its only gone and got an oil leak :thumbdown:not at all happy im supposed to be saving to do my ticket's im assuming any oil leak on it is going to be a pretty big job anyone here got any idea's how much i may end up paying out for this ?im not sure what gaskets gone yet going back out with a torch now to take a closer look to see if i can pin point it i spent a small fortune on it last year as my fuel pump had to be replaced and flywheel fell apart and various other general wear and tear bits could of done without this now :crying:

as you have an oil leak you need to join the l/r forum ,them chaps love leaks :laugh1:

I took a little look after difficult to say without getting right under which i could not do outside on the road pretty narrow outside my house will wait until im up the field with it at least i wont get run over by a car passing then and can get in under properley and take a look its not actually dripping on the road but its on the bottom of the sump so im guessing its only just started to leak ,i checked oil level and it seems fine but there is definatley something coming from somewhere down in there i may have to take belt cover off to see where exactly its coming from as its mostly hidden in there and difficult to see from above as seems to be oil up the sides as well but i dont think its from head gasket as that looks clean.

mines on a 02plate. Will check the filter too then as i did have that changed the last time i had work done to it so it could be the case,it may of loosened whilst i have been off road on rough track up the field wishfull thinking i know if only it is somthing so simple lol guess i will find out more tomorrow and as you say if its not that bad leave it until i have to do it :/

I take it you mean l/r (land rover?)lol

• 2 weeks later...

glad you are thinking safety with your legs sticking out - nearly got mine crushed as a lad.

There are 2-types of oil leaks, pressure side, this could includ the turbo and none pressure side. First like blood a little looks alot, is the level dropping much? and does the oil pressure light switch off soon after startup?.

Without a look it's hard to tell, I have a 03 4life (I think it did 4 lives before I had it)

Mine smelt of burnt oil along with engine noise, when I had it nearly 2 yrs ago.

I found one of many leaks from the rocker box, leaking onto the exhast manifold, hence the smell. I replaced the rocker box gasket, reset the valves. Changed both cam belts and the waterpump and the bottom pulley - they fail by becoming unbonded and a bit of general work it was sorted. I was concerned with the turbo leaking and the induction leaking oil and the intercooler bunged up with old oil - yep done more miles than Apollo 11. But my idea of a 4x4 is not an imaculate 'gaylander' but covered in mud with hunting dogs on the front seat redneck style, chainsaws in the back and blood dripping from the tailgate

I cleaned out the intercooler with 'Gunk' and boiling water, took a few goes - if you do this don't reconnect the intercooler to the inlet manifold untill you have run the engine to blow the last of the muck out - or it goes into your engine.

From some US websites these guys don't worry about turbo leaks, so I didn't saved 500 quid and yep it's oily but the engine oil level hardly drops.

It could be a leak on the oil pump mounted on the back of the alternator or it's pipes, also it could be the front crank pully seal.

But in general get a few mates to check it out, and if it's none pressure don't worry to much.

Thanks for the info I still have not looked into it too much as it just looks like its all over the place so will need pin pointing .The oil level seem's to be stable and not dropping so im not panicking so much now. I could see oil at top and thought at first head gasket but then realised its been picked up on the belts and sprayed there so not the head gasket and its running fine anyway, im still not getting oil on the floor but its underneath on the sump pan, i changed the leaf spring shackles and bushes last weekend and the collars on the torsion bar on the one side ,im going back up to do the other collars on the other side as ran out of time and intend on looking a bit closer at the leak when i have more time but my ex hubby said he will help me if it is a major seal gone and not somthing that can be worked on from underneath .But thanks I will take a look at that link too I guess its better to know your own truck than to have some garage try and rip you off :)