Large Timber trailer nearly finished

gensetsteve

Before and after pics. Crane should be finished and painted within the next few weeks. Should carry 10 tonnes. If anyone is carrying out large take downs we can collect timber from site crane should lift 2 tonnes at 20ft more close in so minimum amount of ringing required for u on site. If anyone is interested please Pm me. We hope to cover Hampshire, Berkshire, Wiltshire, Surrey. Will be hiring a fast tractor to start with when needed so will need a couple of loads a day when on hire to cover costs.

59765a8690158_newtrailer034(600x400).jpg.01a616dbcf7b3569d56bbf77287ccebd.jpg

59765a868d840_newtrailer028(600x400).jpg.01364ef2470c44e3c85b1622a9bae76c.jpg

59765a8688d47_newtrailer031(600x400).jpg.2a08e541fe806a4d3218f2715aa16c1c.jpg

59765a868484d_cranetrailer3.jpg.d31436f309fd491e4ba0280ce48e89f0.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good Steve.

I take it you just removed the front axle and the other two will be in a good position to not overload the tractor hitch?

Out of curiosity, are you taking out the airbags or have you some way of keeping them full?

Luckily we removed the front axle because at the moment its front end light. If it gets front end heavy I am thinking 6ft poles at back with a bit more load.

I am having it built with air brakes and suspension with hydraulic brakes in tandem in case I cant always hire a tractor with air brakes in busy times.

With air tanks full sometimes suspension can stay up for days if not may fit small compressor with honda engine or quality 12v unit any advise gratefully received

Luckily we removed the front axle because at the moment its front end light. If it gets front end heavy I am thinking 6ft poles at back with a bit more load.

I am having it built with air brakes and suspension with hydraulic brakes in tandem in case I cant always hire a tractor with air brakes in busy times.

With air tanks full sometimes suspension can stay up for days if not may fit small compressor with honda engine or quality 12v unit any advise gratefully received

I guess you realise why I asked about the air bags then Steve!

Its always been a big problem with the more modern trailers converting them to one that will serve multiple tractors. Changing them to springs is a major job too, hence they are usually cheaper to buy than the old sprung type.

As for an answer, not sure there is a perfect one Steve but depends how long it will be before you get your own tractor sorted. I assume when you get one it will have air capability?

In the mean time, if it will usually hold air for a while and it will be brought back to the yard regularly enough, can you fit a coupling to the tank and top it up via a workshop compressor?

I knew of a farmer running one like that for years, but he also fitted an additional tank that was connected to the main tank, and shut off on a valve but then turned on if the main tank got too low. Kind of a backup, get you home type idea.

I guess you realise why I asked about the air bags then Steve!

Its always been a big problem with the more modern trailers converting them to one that will serve multiple tractors. Changing them to springs is a major job too, hence they are usually cheaper to buy than the old sprung type.

As for an answer, not sure there is a perfect one Steve but depends how long it will be before you get your own tractor sorted. I assume when you get one it will have air capability?

In the mean time, if it will usually hold air for a while and it will be brought back to the yard regularly enough, can you fit a coupling to the tank and top it up via a workshop compressor?

I knew of a farmer running one like that for years, but he also fitted an additional tank that was connected to the main tank, and shut off on a valve but then turned on if the main tank got too low. Kind of a backup, get you home type idea.

I like the back up tank idea never thought of that my trailer came with a few. I was thinking of getting one of those tiny 4 stroke honda water pumps and fitting a little compressor may be 1.5 horse for top up or if in trouble leave running while getting home. I may fit pressure regulator to ea axle so I can adjust drawbar weight.

Had another thought!

Many years ago, my Dad had a PTO driven air pump bought mainly for tyre inflating. Very basic thing but was easily fitted and be worth carrying in the tractor cab.

It was 30 years ago so not sure if you could still get one, but Im sure it would be a lot cheaper and easier than buying and fitting an engine driven one.

Had another thought!

Many years ago, my Dad had a PTO driven air pump bought mainly for tyre inflating. Very basic thing but was easily fitted and be worth carrying in the tractor cab.

It was 30 years ago so not sure if you could still get one, but Im sure it would be a lot cheaper and easier than buying and fitting an engine driven one.

That would work seen them at auction. And you could turn it on and off from the cab. pressure gauge ( radio controlled ) on the dash