Stihl MS261 slow to rev down - common problem?

morten

If it's any addition, on the ms271 it behaves the same. Once you let off the throttle it hesitates then runs down. I think this may be an engine management system, for example if your snedding and revving a lot then it holds them on and saves fuel. Instead of dropping all the way and having to use fuel to get the revs back up mid way it holds them and let's you keep cutting.

That's how I saw it anyway!

• 11 months later...

Bump.

Another year gone by, and I'm still annoyed by the slow deceleration of my MS 261. By now, there should be plenty of statistical evidence available to show if this is a common problem on the 261, or not.

I have richened up the carb "L" adjustment, which didn't really make any difference (except for faster acceleration, which is good). I guess the factory setting is on the lean side to improve emissions.

But out of all my Stihl saws (MS 200, 260, 261, 361, 660) the only one ever to exhibit the "slow deceleration" problem is the MS 261.

I how found a work-around for the problem, which is to flick on the chain brake to stop the chain. But it is ridiculous, and stopping the chain using the chain brake many times a minute can't be good for the brake either.

Any opinions?

It is also a symptom of poor fuel tank breathing, had a 346XP with a plugged breather that had exactly the same problem - has anyone tried running the saw with the fuel cap loose?

The throttle linkage as Barrie suggests can be looked at - I usually run up a saw and push the throttle linkage with my fingers to close the throttle and see what the effects are - you usually need the top cover off to do this.

It is also a symptom of poor fuel tank breathing, had a 346XP with a plugged breather that had exactly the same problem - has anyone tried running the saw with the fuel cap loose?

The throttle linkage as Barrie suggests can be looked at - I usually run up a saw and push the throttle linkage with my fingers to close the throttle and see what the effects are - you usually need the top cover off to do this.

Thanks spud :thumbup1:. Will have a look at the linkage with the cover off. I can't believe I've been living with a defective saw for more than a year. Not like me at all!