Spiderjack II negatives?

Mark Bolam

I tried the SJ2 last week expecting to hate it, but instantly found it very smooth. I would like to hear any negative aspects from USERS.

Most of my work is dismantles, so I'd be very interested in hearing opinions on SJ coupled with spikes, or long pulls (after bagging in) up medium trees for inspections or specific limb removal.

I currently climb on a Knut/HC and my next rope will almost certainly be Imori.

Thanks.

hi mark tried the old spiderjack last week, borrowed it of a freind i found that the acend was really smooth but the decent was abit hit and miss found it awkawad getting that sweet spot to come down on, maybe it was just me heavy hands lol, but i will play around with it abit more and see how it goes!

:001_smile:

Only negative ive found is when you're above your anchor point it advances(chokes) when you might not want it to.To prevent this i leave enough slack for working and put a slip knot in rope to stop it from advancing. Im wondering if a strong bulldog clip would be usefull for this, just keep 1 clipped on your harness and clip on rope when required?

No real negitives been climbing on it for a few weeks now and did a large-ish dismantle today on it with spikes, no complaints. As for it self feeding above the anchor point i just pull some slack through and add a marl so it can't self feed back through until i want it too. It was the only problem i had to start with, trying to pull yourself up on your strop when thats self tended tight was annoying but easily fixed. Apart from that i love it to bits, made my lockjack redundant over night.

i used spider jack 2 for awhile 6 months ish and found it good but just not as nice climbing with a hitch. as i prefer to work with rope. then i have recenlty got back on it, and for takedowns its awsome, the best thing i think u can use to be honest.

but as for pruning and getting right out on the ends of branches i dont feel you can get the same gentleness or if you do it cost you little bit of time. I.e having to use your left hand with instead of right.

i do tree comps with it and without it, i think its smooth but smoother with a hitch as it really counts on time when ur out on the ends of branches. and if the rope runs over a branch and then into SJ on steep angle can be pain to get down, thus making you have to pull rope through.

All in all for work awsome, for comp climbing not so much. but hats off to joe Harris with it, takes alot alot of pratice and skill to get like that.

I.e having to use your left hand with instead of right.

i do tree comps with it and without it, i think its smooth but smoother with a hitch as it really counts on time when ur out on the ends of branches. and if the rope runs over a branch and then into SJ on steep angle can be pain to get down, thus making you have to pull rope through.

sorry not a negative but if you used a revolver with the pulley built in clipped to a leg when you go out though a v you will overcome this

I use a swivel on harness and can use mine left or right

But i like to use the left hand for those special jobs:blushing::blushing::thumbup:

Edited by bob
added a bit

sorry not a negative but if you used a revolver with the pulley built in clipped to a leg when you go out though a v you will overcome this

I use a swivel on harness and can use mine left or right

But i like to use the left hand for those special jobs:blushing::blushing::thumbup:

hey man, yeah i have tried that also. Found it creates too much drag..... if you know what i mean? when you want to go flat out on a swing somewhere. haha gd that the swivel helps and the left hand:001_tt2: but it will still be in the same place no?. but i meant when using ur left hand it's not as easy as a hitch.

Dont get me wrong it's a amazing peice of equipment, very clever and works sweet. i use Blaze 11mm on mine but only after 3weeks started to creep and was new clutch. how long does and clutch last u guys? but gonna tuck on my tachyon now to last it out bit longer.