possible house move,pros and cons

powcaddy

I currently own a 3 bed semi in town location,rely on relative for storage,preparation of friewood etc all equipment parked there have use of stone building in return for assistance on farm.A friend has recently purchased a farm with land, 5 bedroomed farmhouse with 3 roomed annexe on 1 side,2 bed holiday cott attached at other side with converted tearoom ajoined to that all within a traditional stone farmyard.I can rent my house out for approx 500 a month i also currently pay10 months council tax at 100 a month.He as offered to rent me the farmhouse with 2 ajacent outbuildings and a large tin/timber barn for 600 a month and he pays the council tax only-cons-

vigas boiler used to heat all 4 properties 50kw size based in barn(could be costly)

no bath

possible neighbours from time to time (holiday cottage)

a bit more travelling for er indoors to work

losing our home to the rental market

renting out a property to rent a property

pros-

spring fed water-no water charges

use of sheds on situ

my own base for all firewood preparation,storage etc.

beutiful views,country location

will see more of family

couple of paddocks availible aswell

have alot to think over on this proposition..........any advice greatly recieved

Can you afford to stay there if you place becomes empty for whatever reason. If so then go for it as you have pretty much made your mind up by posting it, if you didn't like the idea it would have never got this far.

Hope it all works out for you.:thumbup:

I am very keen but there are drawbacks aswell no permanent decision has yet been decided i was brought up on farms for most of my life and would move back to the country if i got the chance now i have the oppertunity to.in a ideal world if a can get a long term let on our property with good tenants then thats half ther battle if our house is sitting empty then it not viable to proceed

You may be better waiting, spend time looking for something that you can buy.

Be careful that you're not tempted into doing this because it's your mate and it may seem convenient now. Really think very very carefully before jumping.

I think I sometimes make decisions too quickly, not always based on the best of reasons

I guess if it doesn't work out you could always rent somewhere else until you can get back into your own house.

The heating part might need more investigation as to the real costs.

Are there any other options to get other permises for a yard to buy or rent on a more businesslike arrangement.

Having said that, the thought of more time with the family, a better living environment and more space is very appealing.

Long term (not knowing what age you are) what happens when you retire, down size - the future. Is this a long term proposition?

You're right, there is lots to think about.

I did exactly the same last year bought a property with land and workshop but was unable to sell my house so rented it out instead Just be careful with who you let your house to I thought I had a good tenent she is my wife's best friends sister. Three months ago she thought it more important to throw a big birthday bash for her daughter than pay the rent which I need to pay the mortage. I then found out she is smoking in the house which invalidates my insurance and still trying to catch up with the money.

Everything had been fine for twelve months but now can not be bothered with tenents so property going to auction next month