Pully / hitchclimber use

frenchclimber

Hi Guys,

Please be kind to an aged dinosaur, but I need some direction to some vids showing how you use a pulley/hitchclimber system. I have tried a few searches but they don't seem to lead me where I need to be looking!

Sorry to be a pain on this one, I am sure the info is there, I just can't seem to find it.

I am currently using a straightforward 6 turn prussic, with the inevitable hip thrust and arm pulling joke. I need to get away from this, and decrease the amount of sheer physical effort to get up the tree. I cannot seem to wrap my tiny mind around how the pulley and work system actually works in practise...........where do you pull to go up..I know I'm dim, c'est la vie.

I need to change my techniques drastically to lengthen the time I have left (60 this year !) to climb!

Frenchclimber

Hi Guys,

Please be kind to an aged dinosaur, but I need some direction to some vids showing how you use a pulley/hitchclimber system. I have tried a few searches but they don't seem to lead me where I need to be looking!

Sorry to be a pain on this one, I am sure the info is there, I just can't seem to find it.

I am currently using a straightforward 6 turn prussic, with the inevitable hip thrust and arm pulling joke. I need to get away from this, and decrease the amount of sheer physical effort to get up the tree. I cannot seem to wrap my tiny mind around how the pulley and work system actually works in practise...........where do you pull to go up..I know I'm dim, c'est la vie.

I need to change my techniques drastically to lengthen the time I have left (60 this year !) to climb!

Frenchclimber

Hi mate. Found this video for you on youtube, it shows you how to set a system up with the hitch climber.

I use it with a knot called the michigan... I think thats how it's spelt. I love it, very good :thumbup:

decrease the amount of sheer physical effort to get up the tree
this system is still rather phyically demanding, if not more.

But give it a try and see what you think :thumbup1:

[ame=

]
[/ame] Edited by Harrison2604

Hi Frenchclimber,

i've been climbing with the prussic for 17 years and changed over to the hitchclimber 2 weeks ago. It takes a few climbs to get used to but its great, just stick with it. The video above shows you the basic set up. I've done a bit of climbing around where you are, nice part of the world. Sat by the river in Nontron many a evening with a beer in hand.

Any other questions, however dim you think they are message me.

I switched over to the hitchclimber about a year ago after climbing on a Blakes before that. It's great for quickly advancing into the tree but you have to get used to the fact that the hitch slips until you have your full weight in it (at least that's what I've found) and it can be quite slow on the descending side of things. The knot doesn't slide as easily as some of the otehrs. Honey Brothers have a similar vid showing how to set it up but I think it's the same as the youtube one.

I switched over to the hitchclimber about a year ago after climbing on a Blakes before that. It's great for quickly advancing into the tree but you have to get used to the fact that the hitch slips until you have your full weight in it (at least that's what I've found) and it can be quite slow on the descending side of things. The knot doesn't slide as easily as some of the otehrs. Honey Brothers have a similar vid showing how to set it up but I think it's the same as the youtube one.

Are you using a VT with the pulley? If so, that'll be whats causing the slip you're on about... The VT slips a good 6 inches every time which I found extremely annoying, try something more compact like the michegan or distel :thumbup1:

Are you using a VT with the pulley? If so, that'll be whats causing the slip you're on about... The VT slips a good 6 inches every time which I found extremely annoying, try something more compact like the michegan or distel :thumbup1:

Or add extra wraps to your VT.

:

Hi Guys,

Frenchclimber

get yourself a rope guide chap, you'll never look back. :thumbup:

I climb with a lock jack on my long line and two months ago changed my work position strop from a rope grab device to a hitch-climber pulley with a VT knot. I'm using Bee-line hitch cord and 13mm XTC Fire.

Anyway, regardless of wraps, it slips a little bit, sometimes doesn't bite at all so I have to constantly check it and then it locks up really tight. Very annoying and wobbles my confidence.

So today I tried the same gear with a Distal knot. Perfection!