What do I need to get legally to start up working for myself?

YoGi_93

you dont legally need anything, all you do need is experience. The CS units will not help you win jobs over others that have expierience. You will only get work at first by being the cheapest, but a day job for you might be an hour for someone else. Work with that someone else for a while and you will see what I mean.

Good for you for being keen but if you spend a couple of grand on CS units you will not necessarily get any work on your own ever.

I would say 8-10 years with a hard working team is about right, some do it in 5, but most that try it in less than that are not around for long.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FTR record, after 8 years of working as a climber I never believed I would be able to work for myself and make a good go of it. A couple more years and I started to think it was possible and have been doing alright since then (a further 8 years now) but its never been easy. My first 8 years of climbing were tough, but the fact that I stuck it meant I had the ability.

If you get your CS units, there is a good chance you will get up your first tree and just sit there wondering what the hell to do next! Go and work for someone!

FTR record, after 8 years of working as a climber I never believed I would be able to work for myself and make a good go of it. A couple more years and I started to think it was possible and have been doing alright since then (a further 8 years now) but its never been easy. My first 8 years of climbing were tough, but the fact that I stuck it meant I had the ability.

If you get your CS units, there is a good chance you will get up your first tree and just sit there wondering what the hell to do next! Go and work for someone!

good advice:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

As 'Billy68' said, if you are looking at getting Minted quick...your heading into the wrong game and maybe working for some companies first before starting up will show you that its a mighty hard job but if you put the effort it...you will start to reap the wonderful benefits of this industry!

I decided to go self employed in October 2010 and it has been difficult (i now know why my parents always used to say 'its not what you know... its who you know'). So I got some comprehensive insurance (Public Liability and Idemnity), registered as self employed, bought some kit, kept and still keep masses of receipts, Invoice/d clients, Kept a log of payments in and payments out (Balance sheets) and sought advice from family/friends etc.

Pay a trip to the bank manager, see what you can afford and what your limits are...don't try to grow to big/do to much etc at first (although it can be tempting)...Find some decent lads (Subbies) so you don't have to have Employers Liability and save on some paperwork !!!!Oh and yeah........use some balls!! I am truly loving the challenge and have many people to thank for giving me advice when i needed it!!

FINALLY..NEVER BE SCARED TO ASK FOR SOME HELP!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I set up as self employed as soon as I finished the 2 year ND. I only had the felling & climbing NPTCs - no chainsaw up tree etc. No experience outside of college.

I'm managing to make it work, but after several years I'm still under minimum wage if you include all the business related stuff I do.

The experience thing wasn't as much of a problem for me as other posters suggest it could have been. I simply didn't quote for work I didn't want to take on. I'd say "sorry - too big for me... try these guys", but left them my card. Amazing how often those customers or their friends got me in for smaller work later in the year.

I still can't dismantle big trees myself, but I've enough experience by now to be able to judge how much it will cost me to get in some more experienced climbers with the right kit and put a quote in. I've never so much as touched a stump-grinder, but I've had lots of quotes for tree and stump removal accepted. I know what a big local firm charges to grind, so I factor this in and quote away, then give them a ring. Even though I always explain to the customer that I will be doing this and they could save a few pounds by contacting the firm themselves for the stump part of the job, people seem happy for me to take care of it.

I guess my point is that if you know your limitations and have a reasonable head for figures, you don't need the 10 years experience before earning your freedom.

Edited by onetruth

People often say they want the freedom of self employment

Well

You're swapping one boss (who knows you and probably makes allowances when you have a bad day) for a new boss every day who will expect a good job every time.

Plus they will phone late at night/ Sundays in fact anytime they think to do so. I've even had 4 in the morning.

If you are ill, will you have cover- this applies to contract work especially.

Actually there are many negatives that you should think about but

For me after the first 10 years things got easier - now it's a breeze!

So in essence- it's a mountain to climb

Sorry- you asked what you need to become self employed

My answer

Luck

• 4 months later...