Would I be wasteing my money if.......

rorymoon

I was to give a hitachi saw a go?

I have the chance to get myself a couple of these at a very good price but have never used one or know any one who has but have used some of the power tool range which I couldnt complain about, so if they are any good then I might be tempted to add one to the collection.

So has anyone used one or know anything about them?

Rory

Hitachi bought out Tanaka a few years ago and have slowly changed the branding and design to Hitachi though the machines are essentially Tanaka models. Some are now made in China rather than Japan but seem to the same quality. I put my Hitachi 200 hedgetrimmer side by side with my friends Tanaka badged model and couldn't see any difference.

Amazon had some Hitachi petrol tools on sale last year at silly prices and I bought several even though I really did not need them. For example I got a petrol drill for £138 which was on sale (and still is ) for £560. They are excellent tools and apart from my little Honda four strokes, I have yet to find an easier to start small petrol motor.

I don't have a Hitachi chainsaw as they had sold out of the little ones so I bought a small Makita 4610 as my 7901 has been a revelation in power/size but if they are anything like my other Hitachi/Tanaka tools then they will not dissappoint.

As an aside, Charlies Stores in Newtown (Powys) have the two Hitachi/Tanaka top handled saws for £170 and £190 respectively which is a staggering deal. License required for purchase.

I had a little Tanaka now sold to a colleague, nice little saw, well built and even had an oiler adjustment. Not particularly powerful but suited a novice wanting to cut a few logs.

They may look a bit qwirky and Chinese but I used one for a few hours to test it and it was light and I thought it ideal - just picked up the top handle version but not used it yet!