A good example of Honey Fungus rhizomorphs

Harrison2604

I find Honey Fungus 'boot laces' occasionally within my local woodland when I carry out a little work for the owners. It won't kill off the woodland will it? They live quite harmonious I understand but in an arboretum or garden they are considered the plague? Can you confirm or deny this speculation?

You'd have to be very unlucky for it to kill off the woodland :P

It is undoubtedly a serious disease and can be quite devastating in some situations especially if trees are stressed, for example by drought. Though some tree species are particularly susceptible to the disease such as Beech and Oak.

You can't do much to save the woodland from Honey Fungus, so just hope for the best :) I'm pretty sure it'll be fine going on the average of the severity and spread of the laces in most woodlands

You'd have to be very unlucky for it to kill off the woodland :P

It is undoubtedly a serious disease and can be quite devastating in some situations especially if trees are stressed, for example by drought. Though some tree species are particularly susceptible to the disease such as Beech and Oak.

You can't do much to save the woodland from Honey Fungus, so just hope for the best :) I'm pretty sure it'll be fine going on the average of the severity and spread of the laces in most woodlands

Utter tosh! oak and beech cope just fine as does ash etc, its a problem on weak modified cultivars in arboreta, Oak is particularly resistant. stress is the key, as is a food source like a stump in a un biodiverse garden or arboretum, bio iverse soil fauna keeps it at bay. WE cause its virelence:sneaky2:

In one of our woods the fallen Sweet Chessies are riddled with it but its acting as a saphro. Its only attacking the severly weakened/stressed ones.

Edit. Most notably is mainly found in abundance in the areas we have cleared large stands of laurel and rhody.

Edited by Matthew Arnold
Special mention

In one of our woods the fallen Sweet Chessies are riddled with it but its acting as a saphro. Its only attacking the severly weakened/stressed ones.

EXACTLY:thumbup1:

I think Gallica is wholey saprobic too, ostoyea and mellea are the most virulent here but even so they are as normal as the common cold and ubiquitous in the soils

Utter tosh! oak and beech cope just fine as does ash etc, its a problem on weak modified cultivars in arboreta, Oak is particularly resistant. stress is the key, as is a food source like a stump in a un biodiverse garden or arboretum, bio iverse soil fauna keeps it at bay. WE cause its virelence:sneaky2:

Sorry, sorry... mistake of the brain there, I wasn't meant to use the word susceptible mate, I meant the opposite... resistant :thumbup1: I sometimes make mistakes like that, I blame dislexia :laugh1:

Oak is particularly resistant. stress is the key, :

Ah, these oak have plenty of stress living on London Clay and with 'wet feet' a lot of the year. Good point and makes sense now. I have no fear of losing the lot but I felt that as I do not know this subject well it warranted further investigation. Cheers troops :thumbup:

Ah, these oak have plenty of stress living on London Clay and with 'wet feet' a lot of the year. Good point and makes sense now. I have no fear of losing the lot but I felt that as I do not know this subject well it warranted further investigation. Cheers troops :thumbup:

exessive satursaton is a big player in honey colonisations, they love the damp, the wetter the better.

in forestry logs are sometimes sprayed to stop the latent saprobes becoming active, this does its job but often honey fungi flourish in the damp conditions.

so what does this tell us? that by maintaining conditions that are favourable to the tree AND to the more harmless saprobes and mycorrhizea we diminish the chances armillarias have.:001_cool:

• 1 year later...