Another Home-made Rope Guide Thread

Liam88

Sweet as.

Are you using the plastic coated wire rope as the new core but in the eye only? Presumable in a 16 strand arborist rope (13 mm) you need about 8 mm diameter plastic coated wire rope for the insert?

Cheers

Wire%20Rope%207x7%20PVC%2080x80.jpg

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a bad experience yesterday with my home-made rope-guide.

The first pic shows the damage to the sheave on the pinto pulley, the second my RG setup/footlock prussik/srt leg-loop, and the third a close-up of the retrieval shackle.

Basically I was packing up my gear and noticed the wear on the sheave. It has sharp edges and a burr or two. The only explanation I could think of is that the shackle got 'picked up' by the rope on a fast descent and lodged in the pulley wearing the sheave as it spun. There appears to be some wear on the shackle although its hard to tell.

Has anyone seen this before? I have been meaning to splice up a new dedicated RG out of heavier 14mm rope and maybe the extra weight of the rope at the shackle end would stop this happening? Or maybe just a freak accident. Could have resulted in some rope fairly substantial rope damage I guess.

I think a bit of wet and dry sandpaper should have the sheave fixed up. Should I paint it to prevent rust or will that just wear off?

DSC03062.jpg.3274310f832b223cb9c27b58b3646f01.jpg

DSC03064.jpg.ef7769f65f6bff931fde5cb0d07db8ea.jpg

DSC03059.jpg.95d3470f574c35305104dfd6882c3849.jpg

I had a bad experience yesterday with my home-made rope-guide.

The first pic shows the damage to the sheave on the pinto pulley, the second my RG setup/footlock prussik/srt leg-loop, and the third a close-up of the retrieval shackle.

Basically I was packing up my gear and noticed the wear on the sheave. It has sharp edges and a burr or two. The only explanation I could think of is that the shackle got 'picked up' by the rope on a fast descent and lodged in the pulley wearing the sheave as it spun. There appears to be some wear on the shackle although its hard to tell.

Has anyone seen this before? I have been meaning to splice up a new dedicated RG out of heavier 14mm rope and maybe the extra weight of the rope at the shackle end would stop this happening? Or maybe just a freak accident. Could have resulted in some rope fairly substantial rope damage I guess.

I think a bit of wet and dry sandpaper should have the sheave fixed up. Should I paint it to prevent rust or will that just wear off?

yeah so thats a bit of a bummer. i reckon you could try a bigger shackle so it would run down the rope easier and not get caught up. Also you could stiften the line with either small tubbing or tape etc. this would also heap to keep the shackle lower and even could add bit of weight i.e fishing weight but that be last restort. Less weight the better in everything!

Hope that helps to prevent it happening again.

MOG

Sweet as.

Are you using the plastic coated wire rope as the new core but in the eye only? Presumable in a 16 strand arborist rope (13 mm) you need about 8 mm diameter plastic coated wire rope for the insert?

Cheers

Yeah wire rope just for the eye also slide a piece of clear plastic tube over the outside of the rope for extra stiffness :001_tt2: and yes I use 16 strand arb rope (Donahys Spark) and I think the diameter of wire rope was 6-8mm

Browncow- Unlucky about your pinto bro! hope you've sorted ya shackle!!!

Sweet as.

Yeah wire rope just for the eye also slide a piece of clear plastic tube over the outside of the rope for extra stiffness :001_tt2: and yes I use 16 strand arb rope (Donahys Spark) and I think the diameter of wire rope was 6-8mm

Sorry CraigD I've asked the same question twice but in another thread! Thanks for your response mate.

I had that problem with the retrieval shack too. Thats why I've stopped putting the shackle at the end of the rope where its free to do as it pleases. See the pic bellow - short and tall it there's some think hollow tubing over a 4mm diameter hollow braid, about 12" long. This then holds the shackle down out the way - I think this is what MOG means.

But I spose a larger retrieval shackle would to it to. Also what about a smaller pulley? Worse case scenario take it easy when you climb, no sharp descents (if thats possible!).

Here's my old rope guide with the tubing over the retrieval bit.

P1020577.jpg.24865ff68f8efc199c6c72314318db26.jpg

Yeah no worries bro, I know what you mean about the shackle riding up into the pulley, I think the smaller pinto will be good for RG's when it comes to NZ, At the mo Im still using my cocoon on my RG, I use the pinto as a retrievable anchor for lite rigging which works well. Any how think that your/MOG's idea will work regarding the shackle:001_cool:

Yeah no worries bro, I know what you mean about the shackle riding up into the pulley, I think the smaller pinto will be good for RG's when it comes to NZ, At the mo Im still using my cocoon on my RG, I use the pinto as a retrievable anchor for lite rigging which works well. Any how think that your/MOG's idea will work regarding the shackle:001_cool:

yeah bro thats the one, theres a few options ya can do. i reckon Small Pinto wont work as a splice mite fit through? suppose guess on what size rope and how big the splice. Rig Pinto is nice to climb on but i also use it my for lowering light stuff and Coocon with apline butterfly in rope.

MOG aka Matt Glen;p

Mogley, is the regular pinto fir a 13mmrope? Will the small retrieval ball go through it? I'm still away bro do haven't seen oneyet. Does the treemagineers pulley sver use the rig or standard? Chur bruv