Double Esterlon

Arborlord

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So from what im getting guys 45m of 16mm esterlon is a good all round lowring rope for chunky lumps i might want 19mm esterlon etc.

i would be happy with roughly 300kgs of weight per hit that would be a snatch weight although i will teach my groundie to allow it to run abit.

Also guys out of the lowering devices what is the best one apart from the obviouse grcs and hobbs too expensive ill never get enough huge trees worth getting one.

Im talking whoopie sling porta wrap etc.

Yes 16mm is a good all round rope for everything. I'm only just thinking about getting a smaller one 13-14mm for lighter work but I don't really need it as the 16 does it all. Its not the easiest to tie onto branches so I use slings but you can tie it each time if you want.

Get the biggest diameter porta wrap you can, that will let the rope run better.

If your not ever going to get a hobbs/grcs then you'll never need a 19mm rope I don't think. I've only used my 19mm twice in five years and that was for snatching out Wellingtonias.

a.jpg.45f3fe4a64d45733ca694bba4ce73c80.jpg

Personally I prefer a lowering line to be longer than 45m, for the larger trees. If your on the ground, the line is running up thru the block, then re-directed out to a craning point, the groundie can easily run out of rope, cant work at a safe distance from the base, cant run a re-direct block to another tree. The single most annoying thing on the ground is to run short of rope on a take-down, and end up too close to the lowered log/branch. I cant think of the times in the past when I've had too little line to work, even on medium sized trees, so now I have about 65m of 16mm, after all, what you dont need stays in the bag in the dry.

Thanks for the info guys.

I think 45m will be fine as mainly do trees around 60ft height very rare now i get any think near 80-90ft there all gone.

When you say you use the slings do you have them on crabs then attach it to the lowering line what type of knot would you use in the lowering line?.

Posted the above links a while ago on another thread.

From what I can remember (and i use as a rule if thumb) every mm of rope/inch timber diam/4' length of timber

ie a 16mm rope will lower 16" diam of timber 4' long in a rigging situation. Once over 16" diam you should reduce length accordingly or increase rope diam.

Not my theory but written by someone who knows more than I ever will!

ps dont run your esterlon through natural re directs!

The only advantage of a longer rope would be a longer working life. The ends of yale always what ever you do get fluffy meaning re cutting, the nature of rope on bark and knots thightenig under load is going to wear the first 2m of rope you use, so swap the ends of rope work with. Oh and not saying your crew is going to ever land a peice in such a place where they need to breack it down with a saw and get all carried away with how good they are and just forget the rope is still on it and oh buggger bum tit. (is the to rude for here steve?) I better just say oh cock.... oh cock time for top gear.. laters