The Wild Trees

Treejedi

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you just walk into book shops and find it or do you have to order it on line? I'm going on holiday on Friday and will need something to do while my woman sits and cooks herself...:thumbdown:

I ordered one on amazon... in fact there are two books called the wild trees by the same bloke. I found one as a used copy for about 5'er so ordered both:001_cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Back from holiday and can totally recommend this book. Couldn't put it down!!! definatley worth a look!!!

ps. I will recommend Croatia to anyone. An absolutley beautiful country and full of awesome trees!!! I'll post some pictures in a couple of days!!!! :001_cool:

Google displayed this topic when I was web surfing for redwood stuff yesterday. Anyhow, caught my eye, as it's sort of related to my recent redwood hiking. Here's the page I assembled for images of the redwoods in The Wild Trees:

Atlas Grove, the Grove of Titans, Etc..

Photos and some video included. The only thing the book did not have, that I did not really realize until I started reading, was the omission of photos. A good read though. I went through it slowly during a week, because I read slow. Then a few weeks later, I found myself rereading about three quarters of it again.

The attached image is a photo stitch panorama of Iluvatar...

attachment.php?attachmentid=6449&stc=1&d=1220705102

Illuvatar_400.jpg.eabfd80285070b4b2afad8040554f966.jpg

Yeah, I'm with the recommedations on this too, thoroughly enjoyed it. Occasionally found myself just staring into space thinking about the size of the trees. I've started a "Go to see The Redwoods" fund.

Yes, I must remember you are over the water, so I can't offer inexpensive choices. I know that plane tickets can be bought to cross most of the USA for as little as $300 to $400 USA dollars.

Medford, Oregon is the closest airport, about 2.5 hours east, but flights can be more. I'm guessing that you could see more redwood forest flying in to San Francisco's airport, than going to Portland, Oregon.

Suppose someone could fly for $400, rent a car for say $500, and pay $80 a night for rooms, aside from food, that's under $2000 USA. Have no idea what it costs to cross the ocean. If you can pull-off a deal for $500, then the total redwood trip for a week would be what a landscaper or tree guy can make on a really good day or two. Personally, Oct. to March is my favorite time in the redwoods. For travelers, that means lower room costs. With posting on the forums, you can figure out how to guide your self. The roads are well signed, plenty of maps, and lots of websites.

EDIT ......... I just did a search on United Airlines without looking much, and noticed that from London Heathrow to New York showed one flight at $766. Not brutal, and I'm sure that other airlines or flights can be less. That was mid-January and mid-February.