Scouts?

Foord

quite fancied the idea of helping out with my old Troop (1st vale of Pickering)

Do it! if your area is anything like mine, they will be in desperate need of adults.. Scout training schemes are now based around the DofE. The more adults we get, the more we can offer the kids. Also, there are less people around nowadays who are comfortable in the outdoors. This is reflected in kids today, it is our duty to pass onour love and respect of the outdoors. I would have such a hole on my life without scouting, it is how i met my wife and many very good friends over the years. just dont believe them if they say its just for a couple of hours a week!

All being well, by the time Septeber comes around I should start to get a bit more spare time on my hands (new job should be 8-5 mon-fri) so I should be able to help out - what i was worried about before hand was saying yes I'd help but never being able to actually turn up :thumbdown:

Is there a lot of red tape now? I'd heard they'd stopped Troops from using what was our local scout camp (Kirkdale) as it had no flushing toilets - we used to camp there loads and it never did us any harm.

Do it! if your area is anything like mine, they will be in desperate need of adults.. Scout training schemes are now based around the DofE. The more adults we get, the more we can offer the kids. Also, there are less people around nowadays who are comfortable in the outdoors. This is reflected in kids today, it is our duty to pass onour love and respect of the outdoors.

Never thought about it like that, good points raised..

what i was worried about before hand was saying yes I'd help but never being able to actually turn up :thumbdown:

i feel the same.

my son is in cubs and as much as i try to be there at start time it does'nt always work out and the misses takes him, but i am always there to pick him up. and we always support their events.

mind you any oppertunity to go camping and we are off no matter the weather..... sometimes i'll bring the misses too, but she dont like the rain:thumbdown:

Give them some wood for there camp fires.

Funnily enough, I was thinning the woods around the campsite a couple of years ago, it was a bit strange - we used to gather firewood from those same woods as Scouts and there I was 10 years later doing pretty much the same thing :001_smile:

My avatar pic was taken only a mile from the site.