Professional indemnity

treemeup

Should I have professional indemnity insurance? I don't do surveys myself but if I work on a tree and it were to fail at some point, what would be the legal stance. Also I do get the occasional survey inquiry which I pass on but might consider using a consultant although this would be dependant on cost of indemnity, could anyone hazard a guess as to size of premiums?

I think I pay around 300 or bit less for 1 million cover 30 to 40k turnover in addition to the contracting insurance. You should be covered under your existing policy for verbal advice

Yer I had the same covered if I give advice BUT if they are paying for this advice you would not be covered so I took out indemnity, I think its about £550 (£100k-£120K turnover) its with Trust.

This was my issue, if i give advice on work to a tree then fine, if i then do the work and any subsequent fails arise then i may be liable as i have been paid for advice and work on said tree! think i might just get it sorted next time my renewal comes around, not too long and it should pay for itself...

I dont think its the case of if you do work to the tree and then it falls you would need indemnity insurance this would come under your public insurance but if you said that the tree was safe (got paid for advice) and then fell over you would then need it

this is how I understand it

Hi,

I would preface thsi by syaing 'speak to your insurer first' but, generally speaking and as I understand it, provided you are not giving written advice (other than in relation to works you are quoting for when this would be normally covered by your PL insurance (MAKE SURE!)) and you are not charging the client then you probably don't need Prof. Indeminty (PI) insurance.

We did used to require this from applicant 'ArbACs' but they often couldn't secure it with a provider as they couldn't provide examples of reports (coz they didn't do um) and couldn't give an estimated annual income (coz they weren't gonna do um). Hence 'brick-wall / head / bang"!

That said those who did obtain it, PI insurance, AND 'ARbAC' found the opportunities for reports increased and hence often developed that side of the business.

Cheers..

Paul