Weakest link

Pete Mctree

I've been discussing the building of rigging systems quite a bit recently.

In a typical system of a pulley, split tail, porta-wrap, sling attaching it to the stem and rope, what considerations do you give to the ratings of each individual part, and what should be the "weak link" in the system?

Typically the rope should be the weakest link. It is the most obvious and visible link, and you should know the safe working load of your ropes without having to think about it. Everything else should be as strong or stronger than the rope.

IMO the weakest link potentially could be the tree. Everything else is rated to loading, the trees strength(or weakness) is down to the judgement of the arborist on the day!! Or it could be a wrongly loaded carabiner, or human error in general. To over load a system is easy if you want to knock out oversized pieces, if you dont allow the ropes to run, and so on and so forth. A correctly installed system has no weaknesses until the human element comes into play.

I know this does not really contribute to the angle of your thread Pete,

but it should be said that the "weakest link" in any system is always the practitioner and his/her level of rigging experience.

You can not substitute the correct level of training and hands on experience, Imho.

:ciao:

IMO the weakest link potentially could be the tree. Everything else is rated to loading, the trees strength(or weakness) is down to the judgement of the arborist on the day!! Or it could be a wrongly loaded carabiner, or human error in general. To over load a system is easy if you want to knock out oversized pieces, if you dont allow the ropes to run, and so on and so forth. A correctly installed system has no weaknesses until the human element comes into play.

i think the key word that pete used is "should", not "could"

the tree most defintly should not be the weakest link IMO

Without a shadow of doubt, you are in fact, in a nutshell, once again CORRECT!! the tree should never, ever be the weakest point. But it is the only part of the system that is not tested for loading. But I digress.... this isnt the point of Petes thread anyway, so I'll shut up now.

i think the key word that pete used is "should", not "could"

the tree most defintly should not be the weakest link IMO

:dito:

Did my 41 last year and if I remember correctly the strongest part should be the tree and the pulley / pulley dead eye then the capstan / friction device and its attachment, and then the rope being the weakest, unless you use slings to attach the load in which case these should be the weakest link.

:dito:

Did my 41 last year and if I remember correctly the strongest part should be the tree and the pulley / pulley dead eye then the capstan / friction device and its attachment, and then the rope being the weakest, unless you use slings to attach the load in which case these should be the weakest link.

So if i'm I'm using a typical 16mm double braid with a SWL of 650kg (10 to 1 FOS). What would you use as a pulley and spit tail and in what cofiguration?