Which of the 4x4's can pull 3.5t?

Simon Rotheram

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What known problems?

Mine has been fine, a few minor niggles but nothing serious. I have not heard anything bad from any other owners either.

I can only comment on vehicles that i have owned or known well, ie family or friends. If everyone stuck to this simple rule discussions like this would be a lot more constructive.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Personally i would be inclined to take on board what im told by the fitters as they have no bias as they are not dealers and have upwards of 20 years experience in working on landrovers , in recent years they have also started working on mogs . i will speak to the fitters tomorrow and get more specific info on the problems they have had

Getting rid of dmf on commercial vehicles is normally a good idea. If the engine was ok in the transit and has plenty of torque which it has, cant see why it would be a problem in a defender. I think alot of problems are caused when its not the owner driver. If you are not paying the bills u dont need to be sympathetic to the machine.

You have to ask yourself, given the fact that most other equivalent 4X4's are cheaper than a defender and give so much more in terms of standard specification, why have they bought landys? If it is because they are going to be worked so hard that other makes wouldn't have been suitable, then perhaps its to be expected that they have had more problems than usual.

I honestly think that 10 years ago there would have been no question that the jap stuff would have been better. Now they have let things slip by hairdresserizing all their trucks while landy have improved little.

You have to ask yourself, given the fact that most other equivalent 4X4's are cheaper than a defender and give so much more in terms of standard specification, why have they bought landys? If it is because they are going to be worked so hard that other makes wouldn't have been suitable, then perhaps its to be expected that they have had more problems than usual.

I honestly think that 10 years ago there would have been no question that the jap stuff would have been better. Now they have let things slip by hairdresserizing all their trucks while landy have improved little.

i do agre that the jap 4x4's have gone to plasticy and hairdressery and this year sees out the current ford ranger to make way for the new style ranger that will look more like the ford f150 .

But if as you say people are buying the defenders because they are going to be worked so hard and that the defender is designed to be worked hard then i would not expect them to break down as they do of for half shafts to break when off road in a field . especially when you look at the price difference

I think the acid test is the continued use, and return to use of defenders in the clay pits in st austell, and most other mining/ quarrying environments in the world. Imerys tried rangers and after 6 months went straight back to defender. FAR tougher, more reliable and cheaper on parts, plus the availability of parts is second to none. Snapping halfsghafts is ONLY down to driving like animals.

thats why they are using al jap 4x4;s in the dimond mines in Australia and Ammerica !!! they tried landrovers and found them to be pretty naff !!! as for half shafts snapping and driving like annimals i would argue that driving through i boggy field whilst toming in a trailer would not constitute "driving like an animal" mind you it was funny watching a Ranger tow the landy out and then the trailer .

I know many of you drive Landrovers and are pretty passionate about them but honestly i do not rate them quite as highly especialy knowing that the chassis could snap if a put a good load of timber on the back lmao

Simon, if you're pulling heavy loads, look for a 4x4 that can be driven in Low range without locking the center diff, we have a D40 Navara, rated to pull 2.8T(?) although 6 gears, 1st and reverse is to high for slow manouvers when towing trailer and chipper (2.4T) low range cant really be used as automatically locks the center diff, scrubbing tyres on tarmac . . . 2 clutches in 70thou miles and 18mpg when towing too . . .

We're looking at going to the green oval this year :biggrin:

I am unbiased as have both lr and jap. I tow a 3.5 tonne trailer and have not managed to snap a half shaft in twenty years. The towing cap through boggy fields is very low possibly 750kg from memory. The half shafts are the last resort before you start breaking crown wheels etc. The defenders are the most robust on the market but they could have been improved over the years the fact that they still sell in numbers proves how poor the jap stuff has become. The Aussys and yanks pay alot less for jap stuff than us and fuel alot cheaper. who can afford a £54,000 Landcruiser when a Defender is £22,000.