one for the legal eagles

mikecotterill

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can cut back to boundary regardless of tpo or conservation area,they dont need your permission but they must offer the branches back to you.If they havent you can prosecute them for theft.

Yep completely sure, its to do with civil and statutory law.

Ask your arb officer about it, wont make him very happy though :thumbup:

Theres other loopholes where a "prudent householder" can by some wangling overide a tpo if he deems his tree unsafe.

The bit that wouldn't make me very happy would be you telling people that they could legitimately hack the side off a TPO tree.:thumbdown:

The bit that wouldn't make you very happy would be where you get prosecuted, fined and end up with a criminal record.:thumbdown:

The bit that wouldn't make the homeowner very happy is the fact that there is an offence for the tree-worker and the tree-owner.:thumbdown:

Allow me to elaborate...

To claim exemption from the T&CP Act with regard to overhanging branches, you would have to prove that the work you undertook was neccessary to abate an "actionable nuisance". This is taken to mean "...that which has, or could foreseeably cause direct damage."

There is no such exemption for "hanging over my garden and blocking the light to my sunlounger". Your common law right to prevent tresspass by limbs or roots does not exclude you from the statutory protection of trees.

This is strict liablility we're talking about. You have to prove that you have not committed an offence. No evidence?? You could find yourself prosecuted, maybe end up with a criminal conviction (try getting insurance/finance then!) and being fined £2500 for unauthorised pruning.

Loopholes? Professionals prefer to call them exemptions. Dead or dangerous trees are exempt from statutory protection. You have to prove that they are exempt.

The "prudent landowner/homeowner" to which you refer was a term used in the 1985 Smith v Oliver case. Though the defendent was found not guilty of an offence after topping 5 sycamore in a CA without notifying the LPA the judge concluded in his summing up (my empahsis):

"Of course it does not mean that any individual who owns trees and wishes to remove them can say to himself, 'having regard to their position, the way they have been planted and their unsuitability, I can see that in a number of years they are going to constitute a danger' and then cut them down. One has to look at the position at the time. If such damage is far off, remote and not immediate in the sense that I have just described, the trees do not come within the meaning of the exemption".

http://www.aie.org.uk/resources/case_law/aie_case_smol.html

Further information regarding boundary trees and the law can be found within my star witness - Arb Practice Note 11 which I have attached as a .pdf, bear in mind that this is considered to be best practice and as such may be referenced in legal proceedings.

We are talking about boundaries here not rights to light or just hacking tpo trees to pieces.

When I get a chance i will speak to a Proffessional consultant who has been to court with these matters and post the results.

Oh and btw I dont go round telling potential customers its ok to go and start hacking trees back to boundaries willy nilly. :mad1: