Smooth climbing

Ross Smith

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the kind words. I couldn't work out why the video had so many hits, until someone referred me to this forum and it all became clear. Thanks for watching the clip!

There were a couple of things I wanted to reply to. You guys are right that I've climbed that tree plenty of times, and it's one that shows the spiderjack to best advantage. It's a pretty well-known training tree, and the particular circuit in the clip is one I've seen a lot of very good (world-class) climbers go round. It would be really difficult to do with a VT or other hitch at the same speed as the spiderjack: too much taking in slack.

The spiderjack has some disadvantages (poor running when the tail is deflected over a branch would be a problem in a lot of UK trees; I have not found the inability to attach midline to be a major issue) but descending in mid-air is not one of them. It allows considerably faster and longer jumps/descents than a hitch - in fact after 2 years of climbing on it I still haven't found the limit.

As Angus mentioned, I do use the SJ for all of my regular work. Even for some of the really

as well (not so pretty as the other video). It has some drawbacks. The SJ doesn't like the rope not being parallel, so when you are tied round the stem or close to a large branch it doesn't work as well.

The only other thing that was mentioned was the use of two carabiners. It isn't a standard setup. The two biners are connected by either a dyneema tape sling or a breakaway lanyard. It means you don't have to keep doing the velcro up, and also gives better access to the spiderjack body for your left hand. There's a halfway decent photograph of the setup near the bottom of this page.

Take care and safe climbing

just had a browse of you web site and that picture under the section of "working with sherbrook tree services " is absolutly awsome !! that tree looks well dead ! how high was it ?:001_smile:

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that tree looks well dead ! how high was it ?

Hi there defenderjack. It is indeed a good photo - if the quality is good enough you can even see Melbourne on the horizon. Thanks to Angus McMahon of Sherbrooke Tree Service for taking the photo... and for keeping quiet about what I was doing up there. If you're into tall, dead eucalypts (and who isn't?) you should check out their website - they deal with the worst of them! The one I was in in that picture wasn't particularly tall, but there's photo and video of work in some 90+ metre stone-dead Eucalyptus regnans here. The trees had all been killed by the 2009 bushfire, so even though they were very dead they were (in the main) structurally sound.

Had you guys heard that a 99.6m regnans was recently found in Tasmania? The legend is that a 144m specimen was cut down back in the day, which would have made it taller than any of the redwoods found so far... if the story was true. The tallest one in the video and photos was 93.5m, and the trees used to be the tallest on mainland Australia. Fire and science got the better of them.

To those who don't like the velcro on the spiderjack, you can actually get rid of it if you're using the two carabiner setup. Ceases to be necessary to open and close it, so can be replaced with a ring or permanent loop. Means you can use oval carabiner for bridge attachment and spiderjack ceases to roll around the side.

Take care all and safe climbing.

What system do you climb on normaly?

obviously one that is inferior to this!

This guy shows that there is no real excuse for not climbing to best practice recommendations, also that its possible to be efficient while following them.

My climbing style is not "strictly" legit but Ive no excuse now, that retractable lanyard is a vital part of this systems efficiency.

where can i get one?:001_cool:

I put some links to some on the Lanyard problems thread, dont think they'd be much good for actual work positioning as they dont seem to be able to set at required length but for a secondary anchor point they look pretty neat and tidy

By the way excellent video Joe, i bought a sj2 about a week before i saw this vid,searched youtube for vids but not much on there.Ive since tried some of your tips(2 krabs) and loving it.Keep up the good work. And thanks to Ross for bringing this vid to the attention of the forum

I put some links to some on the Lanyard problems thread, dont think they'd be much good for actual work positioning as they dont seem to be able to set at required length but for a secondary anchor point they look pretty neat and tidy

I wonder could they be set up some way that they feed a 10mm lanyard through an pulley and hitch? If I had the spare cash I'd try it out for sure. Saving for a SJ though!!!:thumbup:

for taking the photo... and for keeping quiet about what I was doing up there.

pfft! I just hadn't had a big enough audience - I'm waiting for ISA Sydney :001_tt2:

Glad to see your here too Joe, your amongst good company.